Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please: Brake line, master cylinder trouble...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please: Brake line, master cylinder trouble...

So I am trying to finish up the 5 lug conversion, brake upgrade, suspension crap I have been working on and seem to have hit a snag on the final step. The car was originally a 92 4 banger coupe, then somewhere along the line was converted to a 5.0. When I started this it had the tiny pancake style brake booster still on it, the stock master cylinder, stock front brake calipers (5 lug Lincoln rotors), 5 lug SN95 rear disks, and what I assume is the stock prop valve.

I got a 94/95 GT master cylinder from Baron (thanks again!), a 95 GT brake booster (what a PITA to install), 96 GT front calipers and rotors, 95 spindles, new tokico blue struts, FMS lowering springs, the MM brake line adapter kit (for the 93 cobra/94-95 GT master cylinders), prop valve bolt to disable stock PV, and the wilwood aftermarket prop valve.

I got pretty much everything on and done, just need to connect master cylinder to the stock PV, disable it, insert the wilwood unit, bleed brakes and be done. Sadly, the stock front line (the one the MM kit instructions says to keep and re-use) does not fit on the master cylinder front hole. The back line that is replaced by the kit fits the master, but not the front hole of the PV... So, here I am, almost effing done, and no brake line to install on that damn thing to finish this up.

Ideas? Would I be able to get a bender/flare tool, and the components to make my own? Better off having it done or buying custom? Do I need to just get the stock PV unit off a SN95 and the lines? I doubt that would work though, or else the kits would be sold like that. Is my problem the 4 banger prop valve?

Can take pics if this isn't clear, but the problem is the flare bolt on the hard lines from master cylinder to stock prop valve don't want to thread in, they are clearly the wrong sizes in both thread pitch and diameter.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Bend and flare your own. Sounds like the fact that it was a 4cyl conversion is giving you the issues.

When I did my 5 lug, I went with the 93 cobra M/C, 93 cobra booster and Maximum's front brake line adapter. I think I made two new front lines. Been awhile though.

Making brake lines isn't really all that hard, just make sure you use the double flare tool and take your time.

I will see if I can find some photos. Of course, I changed it all again when I pulled the prop valve and installed the ABS.

Comment

I have in the past cut off the fittings from the brake lines and install the proper sized fittings and reflare the line.

A good parts store used to have the fittings with bulk crap but I have bought bulk line just to use the fittings and then do not have to fab the entire line.
      Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Working...
      X