Thought's on venting the crankcase for a SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought's on venting the crankcase for a SC

I have a small oil leak out the front of the timing cover oil seal that has all of a sudden turned into a gusher since the install of the Vortech. Currently I run the stock PCV valve with a brake booster check valve inline, and a push in breather on the DS valvecover that has a nipple. I run 1/2 ID hose from the breather nipple to the inlet of the SC'er. I'm considering another breather with a nipple in the Pass VC and running it to the rear of the SC as well. This still doesn't explain how the crankcase could be getting pressurized and making my oil leak worse. Perhaps it's just coincidence? Ok, then let's say it is the root cause................

I was thinking about deleting the PCV and plugging the hole with a freeze plug or installing a breather in the back. For each VC I want to run a 12AN fitting and hose to a catch can with a breather on top. Would one catch can that has 2 12AN ports be enough to vent the crankcase under 15#'s of boost? Should I use 2 catch cans, each having their own breather on top? Can you guys with boosted setups let me in on the setup?

Sounds like blowby , bad ring seal causing the crankcase to be pressurized.
    2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
    Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
    Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
    Speedlogix Catch Can
    Resonator Delete

Comment

No the engine is in great shape. No blowby. All cylinders are within 5% of eachother. I checked it before I did the install. It doesn't burn a drop of oil. Plugs always look perfect when removed. It's been dripping for a while, but it's been getting progressively worse. I think the SC just amplified the existing problem. I'm going to sleeve the harmonic balancer. If no dice then I'm replacing the timing cover gasket.

I just bought another Moroso breather with the 1/2" nipple to feed the SC inlet. Ill Install it on the passenger side VC. After the leak is stopped, if it leaks more but only under boost then I'll vent directly to the atmosphere with some 12AN lines and dry sump tanks. Anyone here have pics of their setup?

Comment

I have my passenger side running though a catchcan with a check valve. Driver side vents to s/c inlet pipe. Zero issues. Nothing ever comes out of driver-side. Inlet hat is always bone dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
        Last edited by LS1Goat; 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Well yesterday was just a bad day for me. Today I went to install another breather with a hose in the pass side VC. I went to hook it up the the rear of the SC at the inlet and discovered that I had hooked the driver side breather up to the SC outlet! WTF! I was totally sober too. No wonder I was leaking like an sob! Now both VC's are hooked to the SC inlet and it has completely stopped my oil leak. It use to always drip a little even before the SC, now I don't even see a single drop!

Comment

Working...
          X