Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nissan Owners? AC turned on kills engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nissan Owners? AC turned on kills engine?

My wife's 2005 Altima decided yesterday that when you turn the ac on it kills the motor. She was driving yesterday and said it started getting warm then the car started stalling . When I got home I started the car and the moment I hit the ac button it started to die . The car still blows air though. Any idea what could be causing it? I'm hoping it's just low on 134a and not a bad compressor. I know the Altimas had an issue with leaking it out.

Thanks

sounds like a locked up compressor.
    2006 Civic SI
    2009 Pilot
    1988 GT
    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

ya that's kinda what I was thinking . I was hoping maybe it was an automatic shut off if they got low on refrigerant

Comment

Originally posted by Hines57 View Post
        ya that's kinda what I was thinking . I was hoping maybe it was an automatic shut off if they got low on refrigerant
        There is an automatic shutoff, but it controls the compressor clutch.

Comment

Battery or alternator is dying. My stratus did that, turned out that the battery was to weak to handle the initial surge or if I came to an idle it would die from when the compressor clutch kicked on and the rpm's dropped for a moment.

Edit: didn't see the part about the air warming up. You sure the belts not slipping? Are the compressor and alternator ran off the same belt?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
          Last edited by RCITNet; 08-02-2012, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Your compressor is seized. You will need an entirely new ac system including the dryer and hoses. Expect to pay $1200 for parts and labor at a shop

Comment

Originally posted by RCITNet View Post
              Battery or alternator is dying. My stratus did that, turned out that the battery was to weak to handle the initial surge or if I came to an idle it would die from when the compressor clutch kicked on and the rpm's dropped for a moment.

Edit: didn't see the part about the air warming up. You sure the belts not slipping? Are the compressor and alternator ran off the same belt?

Sent from my DROID RAZR
              If the belts slips the engine wouldn't die so suddenly.

Your compressor grenaded, you probably have pieces of it scattered throughout the AC system. New dryer, compressor, clutch, coil, field, orifice tube at minimal.
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                Your compressor is seized. You will need an entirely new ac system including the dryer and hoses. Expect to pay $1200 for parts and labor at a shop
                Yep nissan shit is expensive.

Comment

starting to wonder if it's not battery or alternator? The battery decided it didn't want to work today

Comment

it didn't start blowing hit air till the moment the window went down but she says she had it on circulating air

Comment

Weak battery and under powered alternator can cause the same symptoms. Id at least rule it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

2.5 or 3.5

pm sent BTW

Comment

3.5. I also did the onboard diagnostics as well and it gave me a code P1800 which is the VIAS control solenoid

Comment

Working...
                          X