Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Racing Billet Steel 50 oz flywheel weight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Racing Billet Steel 50 oz flywheel weight...

I ordered my new Dart short block which will be internally balanced. I have an FRPP 50 oz flywheel that came off of my 306 which has a removable weight. Instead of assuming, Id just like to make sure that simply removing the weight takes the flywheel to zero balance. Anyone know off-hand?

Sent from my cellular portable phone device
    1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 13lbs, 503/461
    2002 VTX 1800C Chopped and Raked
    2000 F250 4x4 PSD
    2012 Ford Exploder
    www.fquick.com/payne5757
    www.myspace.com/payne5757

Originally posted by payne5757 View Post
    I ordered my new Dart short block which will be internally balanced. I have an FRPP 50 oz flywheel that came off of my 306 which has a removable weight. Instead of assuming, Id just like to make sure that simply removing the weight takes the flywheel to zero balance. Anyone know off-hand?

Yes. Remove counter balance = zero. Wouldn't hurt to let them have the flywheel and balancer when they balance the rotating mass.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
      Yes. Remove counter balance = zero. Wouldn't hurt to let them have the flywheel and balancer when they balance the rotating mass.
      Looks like he is getting a pre-balanced short block.

I would take the weight off, and take it to a machine shop and tell them to make sure it's zero balanced.
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

it's likely to be off a small amount simply because of the bolt holes that are present where the weight was.. but I don't think that would hurt much. It's always a good idea to have it checked though.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
          it's likely to be off a small amount simply because of the bolt holes that are present where the weight was.. but I don't think that would hurt much. It's always a good idea to have it checked though.
          Not arguing, but shouldnt it be zero balanced and then with the weight and bolts it is 50oz? Id have it checked either way, but it seems to be more reasonable to do it that way.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I would take the wheel and the clutch to decent shop (Wayne Calvert Precision Engines in Denton) and have them check it out. They will index the PP also so you can put it back together the same way it was zeroed. I bet it is off if it has never been checked and it sounds like you are building a decent setup with a dart block and a zero balance. I'd use an aluminum flywheel if it were me and use the lightest balancer on the front of the motor also to take the most advantage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              Not arguing, but shouldnt it be zero balanced and then with the weight and bolts it is 50oz? Id have it checked either way, but it seems to be more reasonable to do it that way.
              Most 'lower end' manufactures won't do that - it's another step in the machining process...AND... it likely fits in their 'acceptable' tolerances as far as bieng out-of-balance is concerned.

Comment

I called Ford Racing's tech line and they claimed that it's zero with the weight and screws out. Might still have it checked tho.

1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 13lbs, 503/461
                2002 VTX 1800C Chopped and Raked
                2000 F250 4x4 PSD
                2012 Ford Exploder
                www.fquick.com/payne5757
                www.myspace.com/payne5757

Comment

I called Ford Racing's tech line and they claimed that it's zero with the weight and screws out. Might still have it checked tho.

With the coin that you are dropping, I would definitely have it checked, and like jw33 said, if you have the clutch PP, take it too.
                  Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

If this is the case it will likely have matching holes on the opposite side of the flywheel, or possibly just some small spot faces where they've removed material. The only other way to offset the weight would be if the pressure plate bolt pattern was NOT symetrical and they used it to counteract the mismatch in balancing if the 50oz weight were removed.. same goes for the mounting flange pattern.. it it's not symmetrical, the clocking could affect the out of balance - but it would have to be a ALOT of offset since that weight is much closer to the center mass.

or...

as mentioned above a couple of times, have it checked!

Comment

Working...
                    X