New Engine trouble. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Engine trouble. HELP!

Brand new 331 with TW 170 heads and a TF "R" intake. The engine fires right up, no valvetrain noise, no smoke, no odd noises, nada. lopes just like a TF Stg 2 cam should do, but...................................

This thing is pulling vacume like a MF'er from the PCV hole in the back of the intake and from the breather neck in the valve cover. If I unplug the hose from the filler neck to the throttle body at the throttle body it will suck my finger up to it tightly. If I unplug the PCV hose from the upper intake it still sucks like a cheap whore.

If I remove the PCV valve and let it vent or rather suck in air the car idles perfect at 850 rpm. It will go into gear without stalling, revs great, no smoke, and stays at a steady 192 degrees. As soon as I reconnect the PCV the idle goes up, the lopy cam smooths out, and it will die as soon as I put it goes in gear. It's also difficult to restart. If the hose is pulled off the PCV you can hear a hiss of air as the pressure in the crankcase is relieved. I'm stumped, so anyone have an idea?

Top ring is gapped at .020 and the second ring at .016. This is in a 1993 Coupe.

Do you have a breather on the opposite valve cover?

Comment

No breather at all. It's set up just as the factory had it set up. PCV in the rear of the intake, and a hose from the breather neck to the t/b. Stock oil cap too. I don't see how it's pulling a vacume from under the valvecover????? Blown intake gasket? It's like the crankcase is drawing a vacume through the oil drain back holes in the heads.

Comment

remove the vacuum line from the pcv valve and plug it and the valve(going to use the pcv valve as a plug for the hole in the back of the intake. Remove the line from the crank breather in the valve cover and start the car. If it still make a vacuum or pulls your finger into the crank vent, then you most likely have a bad intake gasket or wrong gasket for our combo. the pcv system and the bad intake gasket would be the only vacuum sources for the crank case system.

Comment

just for the hell of it reck your timing
          I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,

but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

Comment

IF it's pulling a lot of vacuum like that, there's something wrong in the tune - Like it's running rich/lean as hell, timing's way off, rocker adjustment etc..... The car should insta-die when you pull the PVC off. My guess is you have an exhaust valve or two too loose.

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind that the tune is off. I'm waiting on him to install a wb so I can tune it with my Quarter Horse. I'm almost positive all the rockers are adjusted correctly nut I'll have him check again. I told him to disconnect the pcv an plug it, remove the filler tube to tb hose, and pit a breather where the oil cap currently is. I'll report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
                There is no doubt in my mind that the tune is off. I'm waiting on him to install a wb so I can tune it with my Quarter Horse. I'm almost positive all the rockers are adjusted correctly nut I'll have him check again. I told him to disconnect the pcv an plug it, remove the filler tube to tb hose, and pit a breather where the oil cap currently is. I'll report back.
                My guess is, it's running so shitty - it's litterally gasping for air so to speak. I think once you get those things ironed out, it'll stop that hi-vacuum issue.

Comment

It's crazy but it idles at a solid 850ish rpm with a nice and quick idle. Just a little choppy but sounds really healthy. It revs really clean too. Now with the PCV installed correctly and everything from the filler neck to the tb connected as it should be it raises the idle and it smooths out to an almost stock sounding, 1200, rpm idle. It's just difficult to restart, and when you remove the PCV valve it lets out a hiss of air.

Comment

I'll bet you have an intake manifold leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
                      It's crazy but it idles at a solid 850ish rpm with a nice and quick idle. Just a little choppy but sounds really healthy. It revs really clean too. Now with the PCV installed correctly and everything from the filler neck to the tb connected as it should be it raises the idle and it smooths out to an almost stock sounding, 1200, rpm idle. It's just difficult to restart, and when you remove the PCV valve it lets out a hiss of air.
                      IF it's letting out a hiss of air when you disconnect the PCV valve, it's definately not an intake leak - that's just saying its' completely vacuum sealed. It's also saying that the PCV is stuck shut, or possibly the wrong one for the application.... or maybe the wire mesh filter below it (if you have one) is sealing it, or the grommet doesn't have a hole in it?

Comment

might try spraying some carb cleaner or something around the intake if the idle changes its an intake leak.

Comment

Working...
                        X