Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone fed the stock tank from a fuel cell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone fed the stock tank from a fuel cell?

i currently have an 8 gallon cell in the spare tire well.

i am considering switching to e85 and putting in a stock sump'ed tank.

if i run both that'll give me around 23-24gallons of fuel which should get me ~200 miles on a tank which is reasonable.

the best way I can see to do it is weld up the stock vent hole, pump inlet, and filler neck hole with plates.

to connect the two cells i'd run the -12 from the cell to a bung on top of the stock tank (probably put the bung on the plate for the stock pump inlet).

continue to return fuel to the top of the fuel cell and use the fuel cell's vent, but pull fuel from the sump on the bottom of the stock tank.

i'd fill the tanks via the cell.

why not just buy a 20 gallon cell.
    One day at a time.

Comment

I know a guy who can build you a beautiful new fuel cell

Comment

Originally posted by onjacks View Post
        why not just buy a 20 gallon cell.
        Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
        I know a guy who can build you a beautiful new fuel cell
        these are options, but i don't particularly like the way the high capacity cells look hanging under the car and don't want to cut out the floor pan to facilitate a 20 gallon cell.

as an added bonus i already have the cell, already have the stock tank, all i need is to weld on a sump and some block-off plates and a couple of fittings.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
          I know a guy who can build you a beautiful new fuel tank
          Fixed that for you.

If you are going to run both, why not have two tunes and a switch, and run race fuel or e85 in the cell and pump on the factory tank?
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
            Fixed that for you.

If you are going to run both, why not have two tunes and a switch, and run race fuel or e85 in the cell and pump on the factory tank?
            not a bad idea, the problem that would arise would be how you would shut the feed/return off from one cell and divert it to another cell. i supposed you might be able to find some type of Y diverting valve or something, but i've never personally seen anything like this.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              not a bad idea, the problem that would arise would be how you would shut the feed/return off from one cell and divert it to another cell. i supposed you might be able to find some type of Y diverting valve or something, but i've never personally seen anything like this.
              backflow valve in each and seperate pumps would be a thought, or im sure there is some type of solenoid out there that would work.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

or 4 ball valves. one on each feeds to the pump, one on each returns to the pump. cut off the fuel tank feed/return and open up the cell feed/return and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                  or 4 ball valves. one on each feeds to the pump, one on each returns to the pump. cut off the fuel tank feed/return and open up the cell feed/return and vice versa.
                  Fuck I forgot returns, yeah, a couple ball valves would be the way to go id guess. Maybe something like the dual tank setup on the old pickups like the ford I had in highschool?

Comment

From the cell or tank's outlet hose

To a -12 to 3/4"NPT fitting

which would be threaded into one of two ball valves like this:

threaded directly to a Y fitting like this:

back to a -12-3/4"npt fitting

into the pump

The return would be similar except 1/2" to -8 fittings.

Comment

what a clusterfuck that would be.. just pick a fuel and build the system to work on that fuel.

if you go E85 just know you will have to stop more often then on 93. carry a 2 gallon gas take with you with E85 incase you run dry trying to find a place.
                      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                        what a clusterfuck that would be.. just pick a fuel and build the system to work on that fuel.
                        even cheaper/easier would be to just have ball valves on both inlets and returns and then just manually switch the feed line/return lines from one to the other.

Comment

Could you possibly over complicate everything you do to the car?

Comment

Comment

Just convert to e85 or do what I've got Todo.

Buy a 30 gallon drum of race fuel. Refill at The house before you leave.

Comment

Working...
                              X