Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good way torepair a small pin hole in cast iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good way torepair a small pin hole in cast iron?

My chisel broke in half when I was replacing an exhaust manifold gasket at work. When it broke it created a shard edge on the end of the chisel and I didnt notice it. I kept hammering on it and it scraped a pin hole in the exhaust manifold. The manifold has a coolant jacket that runs around the exhaust pipe inside it. To replace it, it's gonna take around 10-12 hours of work. Are there any putty's or a type of solder I can use to plug it up?

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
    My chisel broke in half when I was replacing an exhaust manifold gasket at work. When it broke it created a shard edge on the end of the chisel and I didnt notice it. I kept hammering on it and it scraped a pin hole in the exhaust manifold. The manifold has a coolant jacket that runs around the exhaust pipe inside it. To replace it, it's gonna take around 10-12 hours of work. Are there any putty's or a type of solder I can use to plug it up?
    If there is anything that will work it will be this. I have used in on my boat, car, etc and with heat it gets stronger. You can buy it locally at west marine.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-Epoxy-Putty-WHITE/dp/B003WOGRA8[/ame]
    www.cowlgaugeconcepts.com and on Facebook

Comment

Not sure about the marinetex on exhaust, but its good stuff for sure. With the correct rod you can braze it.

Comment

lighter and a spoon

Comment

It's actually a coolant leak so it only gets around 200 degrees. It's the coolant passage in the manifold thats leaking.

Comment

I fixed some cracked marine exhaust manifolds with jb weld. It was in the water cooled part just like yours. Worked fine.

Comment

I really hope this is a personal car and not a customer car.

Comment

I had a friend fix a pin hole in a gt-40 head with a stainless sheat metal screw. I don't know if he did but I would use a sealer on it.

Comment

Let me add to my post. I hope the customer knows. Hope you can get a permanent fix with out taking the motor out.

Comment

If anything can, it will be the marine tex. I have used a lot of different epoxies and Marine Tex is the best that I have seen. Not sure how it will hold up to manifold heat though.

Comment

Cast iron is not difficult to weld. It could be fixed rather easily. If it's just a pinhole it would take longer to get the manifold off and put it back on than to weld it up, but it would be done RIGHT, and you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Comment

If it were me, I'd avoid welding if possible. If it fails because of the weld, it will be impossible to repair a second time.

If it is fact a small hole, I would drill it out and tap it. Locktite a set screw in it and call it good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                          Let me add to my post. I hope the customer knows. Hope you can get a permanent fix with out taking the motor out.
                          This is on a natural gas compressor(the engine driving the compressor). If jb weld was the only rigged thing on this engine Id wouldnt have anything to fix most days.

Comment

I hear ya stephen. It wasnt a jab at your work, as ive sent a few people your way over the years, and ive never even met you in person.

If you can do what brooks posted it would work well.

Comment

JB Weld worked on the hole in my transfer case.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X