WTF is a 352?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is a 352?

Im still looking at any good deals for engines on craigslist. Im also looking at engine options in fairlanes back in the 60's. I saw that they used a 352. WTF is a 352ci? Baby bored 351? Is this a windsor motor? Little insight would be great; thanks guys.

FE motor.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

It is the early version of a 360. It just has a 4.00 bore instead of a 4.05 bore.

Comment

Little brother of the 360 (dog) and 390. I had a '67 F100 that had a 352 in it, which the prior owner said had come from an Edsel.

Comment

Originally posted by David L. Gary View Post
          It is the early version of a 360. It just has a 4.00 bore instead of a 4.05 bore.
          ...and the 390,406,410,427,428. Most of the 390-410 castings have "352" stamped on them.

Comment

For a while Ford had a neat little progression going. You had Y-blocks with displacements of:
            Then the FE was introduced…

Comment

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post
              For a while Ford had a neat little progression going. You had Y-blocks with displacements of:
              Then the FE was introduced…

And to think that the "FE" was an improvement over the "Y" blocks.

Comment

I don't know why everyone hates on the 360. I probably would've been more excited with a 390 or larger, but I had one in a '71 F250 Custom, and I miss it...
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

don't forget the 332, it can be bored to 427 specs. Your '67 could be had w/ a 289, 390
                  or a 427 in 8cyl. Half of the heads were the intake manifold! I think an intake (cast iron)
                  weighed in at about 900 Lbs. At least that's what it felt like when r&Ring them!

Comment

I went with an aluminum intake to replace the cast iron behemoth when I rebuilt my 352.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                      I don't know why everyone hates on the 360. I probably would've been more excited with a 390 or larger, but I had one in a '71 F250 Custom, and I miss it...
                      What was redeeming about it? Those things are turds.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                        It had a lot of character. It was primer gray and rusty, it had a handmade diamond plate flatbed with a headache rack. It was a four speed with 4.11's out back, and was squirrely as shit on a wet road. It was so damn ugly that girls loved it. I really miss that truck. I had a dream I had it back recently, and when I woke up, I was heartbroken I didn't. I'm gonna track it down now.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                          They may have not been high performance in stock form, since they were set up to be a low rpm engine for moving heavy loads. Just go check the engine masters challenge that just came out, they did not do too bad in several configurations including the 352. Not wanting to stir things up, just saying that there are a lot of engines that can be made to run if the right things are done to them.

Comment

The 360 got a bad rap because of added-on emission controls as most of the engines of the day. Low compression, retarded cam timing and egr just to name a few things.

I can remember back in the day when people were bad mouthing 302 Fords and how big a dog they were. Of course the magazines had engine build-ups but usually, it was 1001 and 1 ways to build a small block Chevy. To the point that any zit squeezing kid could monkey see monkey do a Chevy motor.

Some had access to the "rare" pieces to put some killer combos together. The rest of the dedicated Ford fanatics cobbled some combos that really rocked!

Comment

Thanks guys. Still searchign and looking for that "perfect" engine to clean up and slap in my fairlane. If I knew for SURE it would fit without shock tower mods, different tranny, etc; Id put a 460 in it. So, I guess the next best thing is 351, 352,302...

Comment

Working...
                              X