Manual Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Rack

wanting to put a manual rack on my 89gt. Dont want to spend flaming river money. What can i get instead, i heard mustang 2. What will i need to put mustang 2 rack on, do i need new sterring shaft?

thanks

I used the MII rack because its very cheap. As far as I can tell, its well built. I used offset bushings in a horizontal position as the rack mount is 1/2 longer. I just got the correct u-joint. Check out my build thread and you can see everything. Both the rack and u-joint came from Ebay.
    Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
    90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
      I used the MII rack because its very cheap. As far as I can tell, its well built. I used offset bushings in a horizontal position as the rack mount is 1/2 longer. I just got the correct u-joint. Check out my build thread and you can see everything. Both the rack and u-joint came from Ebay.
      What's the steering ratio?

I want the opposite of easy, I want increase response rather than decrease in effort, the last thing I want is to be rowing the steering wheel to make corners.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
        What's the steering ratio?

I want the opposite of easy, I want increase response rather than decrease in effort, the last thing I want is to be rowing the steering wheel to make corners.
        Its 20:1. Its 4 turns lock to lock. My power rack was 2.5 lock to lock. There are other ratios. I wanted easy. That way it will work with any size front tires.
        Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
        90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

I have a new mustang II flaming river rack for sale... make me an offer...

Comment

i think im going to buy a flaming river rack for 87-93 fox

Comment

Originally posted by badass88gt View Post
              i think im going to buy a flaming river rack for 87-93 fox
              It will be easier. You will still need to change the steering shaft. There are shaft kits with two ujoints and middle shaft, and part that bolts to collum.
              Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
              90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

do i have to buy the flaming river steering shaft, or will my stock steering shaft work with flaming river rack?

Comment

anyone? Bueller?

Comment

Buy or modify/make a shaft^

Comment

does mine have to be modified, can i not use stock one, and why?

Comment

does mine have to be modified, can i not use stock one, and why?
                        Stock shaft will not work. Both manual racks have 9/16" 26 spline shafts. Easiest way is to buy the manual shaft kit. Has everything you need. And it all bolts together, no need for welding. But its about 200 bucks. So you make the call. The one u joint you need is 40 to 80 that can be welded to the lower half of the stock shaft. You just cut off the rag joint about 3/4" from the end of the shaft.
                        Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                        90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

thank u

Comment

thank u
                            No problem. There is one u-joint that has a set screw for the 3/4" shaft side(stock shaft).
                            It $80. You could install that after cutting your shaft without welding.
                            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Smileys in kennedale sales the ujoints.

Comment

Working...
                              X