Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to punch out rest of catalyst on BBK X-pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to punch out rest of catalyst on BBK X-pipe?

I have a BBK catted X-pipe that I run on my Mach 1. It is the short X-pipe for longtubes. The cat material has partially blown out on each side. I want to punch out the rest of the ceramic material on both sides and use it as an offroad pipe. What is the best way to punch out the rest of the material. I'm not going to cut them open and reweld the cases, so that is not an option. Whatever I use to punch out the material has to be at least 3 feet long. Also the pipes are at an angle to the cats, so I don't want to punch through the material and out the side of the cat.

A holesaw and 3 of these?

Comment

Seems like it would work. I'd rather not have to pay 30 bucks plus the cost of the holesaw though. Any other ideas?

Comment

When I gutted my bassani x pipe, I used a long aluminum rod. I could bend it to shape to reach the cats. Then flooded the pipes with water to get all the little pieces out. Took some time to do it, but there are no cuts on the pipes.
        Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
        90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

What diameter rod? Is this something I can pick up at Home Depot or Lowes?

Comment

Originally posted by Hicompression View Post
            What diameter rod? Is this something I can pick up at Home Depot or Lowes?
            Well, it was more like a bar. About 1" wide 1/4" thick about 4 ft long. Maybe you could find it or something close. I think I still have some more like it.
            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

broom handle, jack handle, long section of some rebar or whatever bar, some pvc pipe, ive used all these in the past...

pretty simple concept.

Comment

I used a long punch and a hammer. The ceramic cat material breaks up easily enough.
                01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Working...
                X