Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fo five six
    2010 F-350 6.4L SRW CC 4X4

Spartan tunes, 5 inch flo-pro, 4 inch down pipe, cold side piping, AFE stage 2 CAI, EGR delete, Air Dog II

2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Stock........for now.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
      You also have 4 gears and not 5, you're engine is also very different.

Mileage wouldn't be effected going either or.. If it did it would be ~1mpg

I Went from 2.73 to 3.73 and went from 23-24mpg hwy to 20-22 depending on my driving style. in the city it ranges big time, from 15-17mpg with the 3.73, but my car never gets to operating temps on the ride to or from work and that will hurt mileage (open loop, enrichment at cold temps, incomplete combustion ect.)

Do not fear gear for mileage, your rpm will rise but the load yor engine carries goes down significantly, no more bogging.

Decide gearing on MPH at the told of 4th, In a racing scenario you want it to be close to your 1/4 trap speed and have a little room to grow.

If you do alot of highway pulls a steeper gear will shorten the your cars legs and it will wind out quickly, in that case you'd want a decent 4th top speed ~130-140 should be fine.. There no reason to go any faster then that in a stockish mustang anyways.

Whatever you do, don't floor it in 5th or you'll be needing an engine soon.
      If you use trap speed to decide, 4.56's will win out. 4.56s will yield the best et.
      Full time ninja editor.

Comment

People worry too much about gear selection. Go big and be done with it, especially on these pathetic 2v cars.

I had 4.56s, 10" 3,800 converter, and a .70 o/d gear. Mixed city/hwy driving on 26" tires. No drivability issues. The difference in gas mileage between those and my 4.30s was maybe 1 mpg, if that.

Comment

Ran both in my 97 Cobra and had no regrets doing the 4.30's over the 4.10's when I rebuilt the diff.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Yeah well this is a Mach 1, not a 2v or b head cobra.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

4.10s
              2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
              2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
              2012 Ford Edge

Comment

If you have to use the word "commute" I would keep the gearing you have. I had 4.10's and loved them but it was not a daily. Keep the gearing till it's not a DD anymore or as said before 4.30's or 3.55's and a power adder.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                  Yeah well this is a Mach 1, not a 2v or b head cobra.
                  Not enough difference In b head or not to determine the gear ratio its all about what he can live with rpm wise while cruising at highway speeds. I wouldn't hesitate at all about putting 4.30's in a mach unless I seriously planned on boost in the future.
                  "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post
                    I am trying to decide between 4.10 or 4.30 gears to put in the mach. Since I do have the .62 overdrive, I am leaning towards the 4.30s.
                    Both are $100 new. I commute a minimum 350 miles a week (mostly highway), so I am trying to weigh my options here, considering the small gas milage difference vs. better 1/8th ET.
                    I've had 4.10s in my '03 Mach for many years now and have been completely satisfied with them. Most miles are commuting on the highway, and they made 5th much more usable than did the stock 3.55s.

Comment

3.90 ftw
                      ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Working...
                      X