Couple issues after installing poly bushings 04' mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple issues after installing poly bushings 04' mustang

2004 mustang v6 auto, lowered, wheels, etc.

Just installed new poly bushings on my fathers mustang and ever since the install I have had some issues with the way the car drives, sounds and reacts.

Under acceleration or while driving the car makes a whine sound, kind of like the sound you hear of big off road tires while on the highway.
    Alignment is off, more so than before but the car wants to pull right pretty good.
    Car shifts firmer when selecting gears(park, drive, reverse). Its not a smooth transition, much more aggressive feeling.
    While driving the car no longer has the firmness when it shifts from first to second to third.

I had the car parked for three days and today was the first time taking it out when I noticed all these things minus the whine sound while driving. While backing it out of the driveway the car was making all sorts of noises while turning the wheel, on the brakes, the normal procedures/sounds while backing out the car - only louder. This could be do to the rain, car sitting for a few days but is worth noting.

During install we did both upper and lower control arm bushings minus the ones on the diff housing itself.(ran out of time) We had one hell of a time getting the driver side lower control arm back in and it required a few extra hands to install it. Once the car was on the ground, drove around and let it settle for a few days everything appears to be lined up well and even on both sides. It did raise the car in the rear up what seems to be almost an inch. I think the lower arm is tweaked and or bent due to sliding up a curb a few years ago. Both rear axles were replaced at this time. I just now thought of this and am wondering if this is the issues - car drove perfectly fine for a 15k miles after that and even lowered it soon after. Arm came out with out a fight too.

Any suggestions and or ideas? Putting it back on the lift today to check a few things out. Thanks.

The noise and harshness is normal for a poly upgrade. The factory uses soft rubber bushings for a soft ride and noise suppresion. Plus, rubber bushings will allow a slightly bent arm to still work without much issue. switching to a hard bushing will then throw out the alignment.

Comment

Did you tighten the bolts on the rear with the weight on the suspension, or while the rear was drooped down? You always want to just snug the bolts where they won't come out, put the weight on the axle, then tighten the bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        Did you tighten the bolts on the rear with the weight on the suspension, or while the rear was drooped down? You always want to just snug the bolts where they won't come out, put the weight on the axle, then tighten the bolts.
        This
        1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

Working...
        X