4.8 ls n/a power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.8 ls n/a power?

Throwing around the idea of building a ls motor for later down the road.

The 302 ford or 351 are good engine but I feel like an ls would run better/smoother and be a better daily driven engine.

What kind of numbers do 4.8 make n/a? I know the 5.3 with cam and intake can net mid 400s with a small cam, what about the 4.8? The shorter stroke would make it more rpm friendly right?

Or would a 4.8 be the dumb when 5.3/5.7/6.0 are readily available?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

why do you think the 302 or 351 wont run smoother or be better daily driven?? Its all about how the motor is built and if its tuned right. Build a motor right and take care of maintenance on it and it will last. So stop thinking about going down in displacement. Thats backwards
    1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

Fuck a bunch of 4.8. Why spend the same money when you could have bigger ?!

I don't know about mid 400's on a 5.3 with just a cam and intake swap. Sam would be the guy that would know, but I asked the same thing in Chris' thread about his dad's '60 Chevy sedan delivery and Sam said with a cam they should make "between 340 and 370 and about the same torque".

Comment

The prices are about the same to pick up one out of a pick and pull. I would go 6.0 all day. We all know what its capable of doing. Although I will tell you this, I did see a 4.8 truck make upper 300s with a cam and some other goodies and a 150 shot.
        2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
        2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
        2012 Ford Edge

Comment

from what i've seen there is about 15hp difference between the different sizes of ls motors. if you plan to go FI the 4.8 or 5.3 are great motors. granted it was in a gutted 2600lb rx7, but skinnies took a junkyard 5.3L w/ a TC78 to an 8.65@ 167mph.

i started out n/a because i just wanted to drive it and didn't want to spend all the money at once, but if you have some fab skills you can come out decent building a manifold kit w/a china turbo vs. buying good swap long tubes.

Comment

4.8's make around 275hp and 280ft torque and are available for under $550 complete usually. Bolt ons and a tune can yeld a mid 13 in a full size truck.
            Ded

Comment

The price difference between 4.8/5.3s and 6.0s are huge now also.
              Ded

Comment

8.1!

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
                  Fuck a bunch of 4.8. Why spend the same money when you could have bigger ?!

I don't know about mid 400's on a 5.3 with just a cam and intake swap. Sam would be the guy that would know, but I asked the same thing in Chris' thread about his dad's '60 Chevy sedan delivery and Sam said with a cam they should make "between 340 and 370 and about the same torque".
                  I've read places online where people get ~80-90rwhp from a cam swap in a 5.3 or 6.0, that would put it close to 400, with bolt ons and an intake I saw 445hp from google.

I'm not ls genius and really don't know too much about them but from what I see, I like.

2600lb coupe with mid 400s on motor or more plus some nitrous would be one hell of a car.

Comment

make me a hell of an offer on the GTO set up and buy the whole thing and I'll put a magna charged set up in it (no really... make me an offer

6.0 with a T76 at 7.5psi made 535/558
                    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by FoxBodyNick View Post
                      why do you think the 302 or 351 wont run smoother or be better daily driven?? Its all about how the motor is built and if its tuned right. Build a motor right and take care of maintenance on it and it will last. So stop thinking about going down in displacement. Thats backwards
                      $ spent, I feel like a healthy ls motor would be a pretty badass car, I'd love a 363 dart block sbf with some big nasty heads and efi spyder from anderson with a big shot of spray would be badass, I'd just have to save for a long..long..long time.

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 turbo rail View Post
                        make me a hell of an offer on the gto set up and buy the whole thing and i'll put a magna charged set up in it (no really... Make me an offer

6.0 with a t76 at 7.5psi made 535/558
                        wtf ?!?

Comment

Comment

4.8 is a bad little motor!!

Shit, I'm planning on minimum of 600rwhp on a stock 5.3 longblock (just valve springs/cam).

Ded

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
                              the 351 is great, but when you compare how much you have to spend to get a 351 going as fast as a heads/cam ls plus then having to purchase some type of engine management system if you want to really tune/data log it I think it makes the ls swap pretty attractive. plus if you pop the motor you just yank another one out of the junk yard.

Comment

Working...
                              X