Mark VIII Fan vs. 3.8 Taurus Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark VIII Fan vs. 3.8 Taurus Fan

Right now I am running the 3.8 Taurus fan and with the shrouding I built it is keeping up pretty good (made the drive to K-dale from my house, approx. 15miles) with ambient ~90* w/ac blasting and highest I saw was just over 200* (196* thermo).

Once I got there, the line was all the way on to New Hope street so I had to idle for a LONG time to get through to the pits. As I idled slowly but surely the temps were creeping. Never got "too hot" but it is only 90* outside, 110* will be a whole different game.

Since my problem now is low speed/idle cooling it seems this fan doesn't have enough power to pull through the 3" radiator, 1.25" condenser, 4" intercooler, and 1.5" trans cooler. (probably 10+" of span between the fan and the front of the cores).

So I am thinking about going to a MK8 fan if it pulls significantly more air then the Taurus. I am also thinking about trying to seal each of the cores to each other with some time of foam tape or something. Thoughts?

These fans start drawing excessive amperage when they tend to
    fail, you might also want to consider the Flex-a-lite 185
    somewhat pricey compared to the used units but very dependable and efficient. G/L

Comment

I think the Taurus pushes more air than the MK8.... I'll look for something to validate that...

Comment

Perhaps not....

"the diff is....

taurus fan/mark 8 same motor assembly

mark 8 fan blades are 18", taurus are 16". both are two speed, high and low. both will cool down your car with plenty of ummfff, arouned 4000 cfm on high on mark 8, around 3800 or so on high on the taurus.

taurus is same width, the mark eight is thicker (after being cut down thin as possible about 5 1/4 inch at thickest, taurus is about 4 1/2 before being trimmed. taurus is about 18" x 22 " x 4/1/2 deep. mark 8 is about 181/2x22x6 untrimmed, 51/4" trimmed at thickest point.

both work awesome on 5.0s. will work on stock/aftermarket radiators. almost always work well(some serious blowers won't clear) mine on low cools my trick flow nitroused mustang just fine in traffic, etc. "

Comment

the mark VIII fan pulls more cfm (avg 500cfm)
          than the taurus. also the earlier mark fans are two speed.

I have my low triggered off a temp switch and my high speed triggered off the a/c clutch.

also you need a min 70amp relay for low & high.
          One day at a time.

Comment

What about LT/LSx fans from the Fbody?
            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
              What about LT/LSx fans from the Fbody?
              I ran those initially but they didn't move as much air as the Taurus fan.

Comment

I have a 98 mark 8 fan and an aluminum 2 row 1 1/4in radiator from DM. Last summer, when it was 100 plus out, the only time I even started looking at the temp gauge was when I was on the highway with the AC on, even then it didnt get above 215-220. In traffic, around town 185-200. Sitting in traffic not moving, it was around 170-175. My car can sit for hours with the Ac on idleing and will not get hot.

But I've told you all this before
                Vortex rear stand $75
                8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                11 4 door
                13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

To give you an idea on the Flexi lite 185

Guy in Fl with

My Phone camera suks I know

Last edited by robert; 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
                    I have a 98 mark 8 fan and an aluminum 2 row 1 1/4in radiator from DM. Last summer, when it was 100 plus out, the only time I even started looking at the temp gauge was when I was on the highway with the AC on, even then it didnt get above 215-220. In traffic, around town 185-200. Sitting in traffic not moving, it was around 170-175. My car can sit for hours with the Ac on idleing and will not get hot.

But I've told you all this before
                    so a vote for the mark 8. i think this is what i am going to try.

the car will stay DEAD on the thermostat in any temp as long as the a/c is not on. the underhood heat from the turbo + the a/c going is just a little too much for the current setup, it might actually be "okay" the way it is, but i don't like not having much cushion and operating at 225 with the fans on full blast and a 196* thermostat is pushing the raged edge in my opinion.

Comment

I'm running a 165. I'm not sure if running a hotter tstat would help with the highway trips but it's not really an issue so I havent tried that.

The main thing I was wanting to accomplish is not getting hot in traffic, waiting in lines, etc and this setup works very good for that.

btw, I fought this shit for years and years with over heating issues until finally found something that worked for me.
                      Vortex rear stand $75
                      8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                      My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                      but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                      11 4 door
                      13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Ya, my car has actually never over heated and lots of folks tell me "oh, ls motors just like to run hot" etc. With my c6 220-225 doesn't concern me as I know the fans are not going full tilt and I know it'll idle for days without an issue. With this motor I don't have that level of trust. I have the high speed fan on all the time and it still gets that hot if I let it sit forever, if I am moving or at least not idling for 5-10mins + it is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                          Ya, my car has actually never over heated and lots of folks tell me "oh, ls motors just like to run hot" etc. With my c6 220-225 doesn't concern me as I know the fans are not going full tilt and I know it'll idle for days without an issue. With this motor I don't have that level of trust. I have the high speed fan on all the time and it still gets that hot if I let it sit forever, if I am moving or at least not idling for 5-10mins + it is fine.
                          Gm has been running there coolant temps in the 225 range on injected stuff since the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                            Gm has been running there coolant temps in the 225 range on injected stuff since the 90's.
                            but is that 225 w/the fans going full blast thermo wide open?

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                              this my truck runs 220's all that time doesn't matter how hot or cold it is outside..

Comment

Working...
                              X