ok gurus need help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok gurus need help....

ok so i have a 2003 mach 1, full bolt on car etc, well i had some 98 cobra cams installed and everything went fine and such. but then my car overheated to the point it blew off the rad cap and coolant went everywhere. so i finally got it home after 2.5 hours and let her sit for about 2 days. then i thought it was a stuck t stat so i replaced the t stat, plugs, new coolant, oil + filter, and the radiator cap. so then i go and drive still over heating. so i ask some people i know and they said my car is notorious for the fans to go out. so i spend 220 bucks on a hookup price to get oem motorcraft fan, fan motor and the resistor thing in the shroud, put that in today as well as an aftermarket auto meter temp gauge. now i went to get some food from down the street and now shes still over heating. i dont know what to change anymore, wtf do i do or look at. please some body guide me in the right direction...

thanks
    stephen

Tesla Service Technician.

Is the fan coming on? It should bypass the temp switch if the ac is switched on. Did you open the thermostat manually before installing? It's a good idea. Did you test the old one? Put the old one in boiling water, it should open at 195 if stock, the water will be 220 if boiling. Helps if you have a thermometer, or pyrometer. An obstructions to the radiator?

Anything done recently?
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
      Is the fan coming on? It should bypass the temp switch if the ac is switched on. Did you open the thermostat manually before installing? It's a good idea. Did you test the old one? Put the old one in boiling water, it should open at 195 if stock, the water will be 220 if boiling. Helps if you have a thermometer, or pyrometer. An obstructions to the radiator?

Anything done recently?
      yes the fans are coming on, i heard them tonight before turning it off. yes i did push it open with my fingers but not to test it just to mess with it lol. i did not test the old one, as far as obstructions im not sure what you mean. like a bag or something in front of the radiator? there is nothing blocking the air getting in.

Comment

so this happened right after the cams install? did the heads come off? (maybe head gaskets installed backwards??)get all the radiators hoses connected right?
        Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
        90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Air pockets in the cooling system?
          92 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
            so this happened right after the cams install? did the heads come off? (maybe head gaskets installed backwards??)get all the radiators hoses connected right?
            didnt pull the heads just the valve covers...and it was just the intake cams that were changed not the exhaust...

Comment

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
              Air pockets in the cooling system?
              don't think so took it to a mech shop and they supposedly bled it but they didn't know what was wrong either so what does that tell you...

Comment

yes, definitely bleed the coolant system again.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpony View Post
                  yes, definitely bleed the coolant system again.
                  not really sure how to do that, that is why i took it to the shop. im good with cars just not cooling...the only thing left is the coolant temp sensor thing that im gonna change tomorrow, so well see how that goes but please keep giving me suggestions to look over again.

Comment

Coolant crossover has a bleed spot that should take an 1/8th inch extension to open up. Pull that plug fill it with coolant there. Cap it run it. Crack it open a few times until you get a good amount of coolant flow there.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpony View Post
                      Coolant crossover has a bleed spot that should take an 1/8th inch extension to open up. Pull that plug fill it with coolant there. Cap it run it. Crack it open a few times until you get a good amount of coolant flow there.
                      Maybe more problems now that he let it overheat bad enough to blow the cap off of the reservoir. Sounds like air in the system or you popped a head gasket getting it too hot from having air in the system.

Comment

Working...
                      X