Mass air meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass air meter

Where's a good place to get a mass air meter recalibrated? I have a bbk Mass air that only has the part # scribed on it so i contacted bbk and they told me it was for a factory air box and i have a cold air intake on the car. I'm not really sure why it makes a difference but my car runs like crap when it's first started and it loads up at idle.

Or would it be cheaper to just buy another mass air meter

Comment

I use MAFia

Comment

Mass airs can't be "calibrated" the ECM has to be tuned to recognize and accept the differant voltage ranges.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

So your saying I could run a stock mass air with 24lb injectors and just get it tuned.
          That dosent make any since to me

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang87t View Post
            So your saying I could run a stock mass air with 24lb injectors and just get it tuned.
            That dosent make any since to me
            Yes you can, it makes perfect sense.

I am running a lightning mass air meter that's rated for ~42lb injectors with 24# injectors, it's normal.

They make sensors and meter housings that's are "calibrated" but in reality it's a bunch of bullshit that is a bandaid fix.

A mass air meter doesn't know that injectors are in your car, all it knows is how much air is going across the sensor, and it shows it from a range of voltage. The ECM is what controls injector pulse width, it takes the reading from the mass and decides how much fuel to spray. So if you tune your ECM to read and understand the meter with your injectors, you'll be fine.

Comment

FYI the lightning mass air is one of the best on the market, it has a wider range of operation which makes it more precise and accurate. It's 90mm and can be adapted or modified to work with straight fittings instead of a 4bolt flange. Plus they're 90$

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                I use MAFia
                This is a way to manipulate the return voltage the ECM reads, I see it as working almost like a blower motor resistor but a lot more complex, if that makes sense.

They work fine but really aren't needed unless the MAF meter is maxing out to soon.

Comment

I've got a Pro M 87mm calibrated for 24lb injectors (off my 97 Cobra ) for $50
                  2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
                  Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
                  Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
                  Speedlogix Catch Can
                  Resonator Delete

Comment

Originally posted by STRONGNUFF View Post
                    I've got a Pro M 87mm calibrated for 24lb injectors (off my 97 Cobra ) for $50
                    If you get this or a lighting mass air, you'll need to convert your factory harness to adapt to the new edge meter plug in. No big deal at all.

Comment

Mine is for 24lb injectors. But according to bbk it's for a stock air box. What's the difference

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang87t View Post
                        Mine is for 24lb injectors. But according to bbk it's for a stock air box. What's the difference
                        Probably rated for the way the air hits the meter, what kind of car is this? The fox style mass air meter should work with or without an air box because it mounts in-line the air intake hose. I personally wouldn't use a bbk mass air. I'm not saying they're junk but there are better options. The majority of people run pro m, c&l or lightning mass air.

If I were you I'd snag that pro m for 50$ and call it a day, post up the bbk on craigslist for $50 so it's a wash. IMO.

Comment

Out of curiosity what air filter are you using? Is it really oily? Is there one at all?

Some mass airs have a mesh screen in front to break the air up for better metering, if you take it out it can cause idle issues, an air filter will do the same thing, my car doesn't like to idle with out a filter or screen. (that is with stock mass air and injectors)

Are the wire elements dirty?

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                            Yes you can, it makes perfect sense.

I am running a lightning mass air meter that's rated for ~42lb injectors with 24# injectors, it's normal.

They make sensors and meter housings that's are "calibrated" but in reality it's a bunch of bullshit that is a bandaid fix.

A mass air meter doesn't know that injectors are in your car, all it knows is how much air is going across the sensor, and it shows it from a range of voltage. The ECM is what controls injector pulse width, it takes the reading from the mass and decides how much fuel to spray. So if you tune your ECM to read and understand the meter with your injectors, you'll be fine.
                            +1

All the EEC sees is the voltage off the maf. The ECM then looks up the voltage in a table. The table tells the EEC how much mass of air per second is coming into the engine. This table can be changed via tuning. A new maf table is needed when going to a larger or smaller maf because the EEC doesn't know it has a bigger maf. (All it sees is a voltage and looks up a mass flow rate.)
                            Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Unplug your maf and see how it runs. If it clears up, your maf is dirty or the wrong size.
                              Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Working...
                              X