No announcement yet.

Any Porsche guys on here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the cars are cheap to buy but freakin high to repair.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      Yeah the cars are cheap to buy but freakin high to repair.
      Just remember that you can't walk into Autozone for parts. They can be hard to find, which also means "expensive".

Comment

Yeah I tried looking them up at autozone. LOL
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

My brother has a 944 turbo. It's probably a low 14 to maybe high 13 second car. I think the parts are pretty pricey as mentioned above....

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
            My brother has a 944 turbo. It's probably a low 14 to maybe high 13 second car. I think the parts are pretty pricey as mentioned above....
            My buddy in college had a 944 turbo. I remember it not being all that quick but it had pretty good top end. He took it up to 140-150 or so on the highway once. They only had like 190hp but fairly aerodynamic for the day and they weigh less than 3000.
            Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
            Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Yeah I have seen a few 700 to 800 HP Turbo 944's. Not with my budget though. LOL
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Ok- what model and what year?
                The pre-85.5's had the 924 interior. Makes the Fox body interior look like an Audi. Post 85.5s have the new 911 lookin' interior.

Then there's the engine. Standard 8v 944 is OK, but just. The 944s made 180hp and was a rocket. Turbos- goes without saying.

I had the S model as a track car. Super balanced, terrific handling car. It was modded by a P-club guy for autox. Had performance suspension, wheels, tires, brakes etc.

Parts... yea, they can eat you up. Zim's in Bedford is a local source for stuff or rennlist is a terrific resource. I bought a trans from a guy in Arlington for $300 and with a writeup on remove-replace I was able to swap it myself.

One with all the maintenance records is worth a look. It you don't have to drop $1500 asap, you may be good.

Where people run into problems is when it is time for maintenance. They buy an affordable Porsche then something craps- and they sell it for as parts to that guy in Arlington that has the transmissions.

Comment

there are a couple that run lemons with decent sucess. There have only been a couple I have been on track with ( I have no idea what engines) that didnt set the track on fire, but seemed to stay on it pretty well.

I have a customer that has a turbo model that called me a couple days ago and said he was thinking of selling. From what I remember it is in perfect shape mechanically and great in appearance, asking something around $4k.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by JayP View Post
                    Ok- what model and what year?
                    The pre-85.5's had the 924 interior. Makes the Fox body interior look like an Audi. Post 85.5s have the new 911 lookin' interior.

Then there's the engine. Standard 8v 944 is OK, but just. The 944s made 180hp and was a rocket. Turbos- goes without saying.

I had the S model as a track car. Super balanced, terrific handling car. It was modded by a P-club guy for autox. Had performance suspension, wheels, tires, brakes etc.

Parts... yea, they can eat you up. Zim's in Bedford is a local source for stuff or rennlist is a terrific resource. I bought a trans from a guy in Arlington for $300 and with a writeup on remove-replace I was able to swap it myself.

One with all the maintenance records is worth a look. It you don't have to drop $1500 asap, you may be good.

Where people run into problems is when it is time for maintenance. They buy an affordable Porsche then something craps- and they sell it for as parts to that guy in Arlington that has the transmissions.
                    Its an 87 that he was driving and just died. It has a new timing belt, water pump, tires and a couple of other things. He said he has traced the issue to the computer and showed me the bad spot on the computer. I have him down really cheap but it always scares me on the was running perfect and had a minor problem. I was gonna buy it as a cool looking beater car and hope for the best. LOL It also has a small dent at the front corner of a fender and the spoiler has a patch out of it. Rest of the body looked good and interior looked ok. Need the bottom seats cover, dash cap, rear sunroof latch fixed, andddd passenger window fixed. Mostly minor stuff if it would really run with the computer fixed. Didnt look like it had any leaks and the body was pretty straight other then the one dent. I think the body style is one of those that looks better then most of the newer cars out there. I think the auto would also kill some of the fun in the car with only 150hp or so. Plus the more I read on them the more I think I could get a turbo and never grow out of it as they can be monsters.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

My mom had an 81 944. They handle great, but are expensive as hell to maintain and aren't all that quick. I would definitely say my NPI GT was faster and my old 93 300zx was a touch quicker as well. A clutch kit usually runs something like $500 for them.

Comment

I watched Norwood dyno one a few years ago, made 320-330rwhp with whatever mods he did to the thing. I'm guessing a Motec system, some turbo and intercooler upgrades and probably at $10-15k lighter wallet.

Some people like them

Comment

Working...
                        X