No announcement yet.

Too much tie rod angle cause tire wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much tie rod angle cause tire wear?

The coupe is wearing out the outsides of each of the front tires. I've had the it aligned at Firestone and had everything set within "spec". I just measured the toe and camber with some strings and it seems to be set properly, about .5" toe'd in on the front (not sure how many degree's that is), and about 1/4" of negative camber. Seems like if the wheels are toe'd in and have negative camber it should wear out the insides vs. the outsides of the tires. If I am wrong here let me know.

Only thing that looks odd is the amount of angle on the tie rods coming out of the rack to the spindle. The car is lowered, but I experience no bump steer (albeit not sure how severe it'd be with skinny's). Could this be the cause of outside tire wear?

1/2in toe in is a shitload. I'd get that checked out
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

No shit. It should be like 1/32" or 1/16".... or 0.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I thought toe in would cause inner wear, not outter?

Comment

think of it like this.

/ \ you are scrubbing the tire down the road.

\ / you are pushing the tires down the road.

Posting a head on shot of the car will help. Its not hard to tell if the toe is off.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
            I thought toe in would cause inner wear, not outter?
            The "in" in toe-in means that the front of the tires are pointed toward the centerline of the car.

Excessive toe (in either direction) can chew tires up at the outside, inside, or all the way across - just depends on camber and caster settings and how often your tires are at high-wear positions.

I'd get that toe checked out...
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              The "in" in toe-in means that the front of the tires are pointed toward the centerline of the car.

Excessive toe (in either direction) can chew tires up at the outside, inside, or all the way across - just depends on camber and caster settings and how often your tires are at high-wear positions.

I'd get that toe checked out...
              it is toe'd in, the wheels are closer together at the front then the rear of the tires, 60.5 (center line of tire front) vs. 61" (center line of tire at rear)

Comment

it is toe'd in, the wheels are closer together at the front then the rear of the tires, 60.5 (center line of tire front) vs. 61" (center line of tire at rear)
                Is it toe'd in like that so when the front end lifts it zeros the toe out?
                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                  Is it toe'd in like that so when the front end lifts it zeros the toe out?
                  front end doesn't lift, tires just spin!

Comment

Needs more camber

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Toe in on a drag car is bad. Setting a drag car (with skinnies) to <stock>spec is bad. The front end should be elevated where it has minimal weight on it while it is aligned

Comment

With the big n little set up we can only assume you aren't rotating your tires the outer shoulder is gonna take a ass whooping turning that 75/25 weight bias. Pay a real shop for a alignment and realize a 4 inch tire is gonna wear badly in your situation .
                        The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

I would have to agree with turbostang and reefer rae. Let someone with an alignment machine that's worth a crap do it, and follow the guidelines other skinny tire high powered racers use with success. Also fix the spinning issue. You need some weight transfer.

Comment

what specs are everyone using then? i will need to get new front tires and will get it aligned again, but would like to know the specs i need to use.

Comment

The coupe is wearing out the outsides of each of the front tires. I've had the it aligned at Firestone and had everything set within "spec". I just measured the toe and camber with some strings and it seems to be set properly, about .5" toe'd in on the front (not sure how many degree's that is), and about 1/4" of negative camber. Seems like if the wheels are toe'd in and have negative camber it should wear out the insides vs. the outsides of the tires. If I am wrong here let me know.

Only thing that looks odd is the amount of angle on the tie rods coming out of the rack to the spindle. The car is lowered, but I experience no bump steer (albeit not sure how severe it'd be with skinny's). Could this be the cause of outside tire wear?

Like mentioned above - only slight toe, like 1/32" or 1/16", generally the more rolling friction the more you need to adjust in. I run 1/8" toe on huge 35" mud tires, just as an example. When you toe in, you wear the outsides of the tires, when you toe out you wear the inside of the tires. Whichever part of the tire is the leading edge. If it's toed out the inside of the tire is the leading edge. If it's toed in, the out leads.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X