Improving air flow through LX front bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
    What about a 93 cobra front bumper insert? That would help some.
    Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
    That's what I was going to suggest also.
    An lx isnt closed off in the grill area like the gt, it is open like the cobra.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
      An lx isnt closed off in the grill area like the gt, it is open like the cobra.
      it is not "as open" as the cobra, but it does let some air through. i don't think there would be an appreciable amount of air coming through there anyway and if I built a radiator box like shown it'd probably block that part off anyway.

This would take care of sealing the hood to the core support as well.

Comment

Anyone know where I can get some sheet metal to make something like shown above? I'd probably cut out the pieces, fold the edges and rivet the thing together then install the front clip over it.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
          Anyone know where I can get some sheet metal to make something like shown above? I'd probably cut out the pieces, fold the edges and rivet the thing together then install the front clip over it.
          Use HVAC ducting with rivets and aluminum tape. All can be found at your local hardware store. If you wanted to make one completely from scratch, you could appropriate the same thin sheet metal from HVAC vent shops. I bought some sheet aluminum from such a place years ago from a place down here in Mansfield. If you can't find someone local, let me know and I scrounge up their name/number.
          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Well, she isn't beautiful, but I busted my ass on it and it'll at least test the theory. I pulled out the metal bumper thing and built this from scratch.

Comment

Looks like a cattle catcher on an old train lol! Also looks very functional, hope it works.
              Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
              90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
                Looks like a cattle catcher on an old train lol! Also looks very functional, hope it works.
                here it is put back together. my hands are destroyed, i probably cut myself 1000 times. i am going to make a nice plate to go over this part and cover the gap between the radiator and core support so everything looks finished.

Comment

That looks good, and in the future, if you need to, you could always add a "scoop" parallel to the ground to draw air in and up. (If there's room.)

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                  my hands are destroyed, i probably cut myself 1000 times.
                  LOL, next time.......

Just say'n.
                  Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                  There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
                    That looks good, and in the future, if you need to, you could always add a "scoop" parallel to the ground to draw air in and up. (If there's room.)
                    here is what the "modified" opening in my front bumper looks like, from ground level you can't tell it has been opened up, but it is significantly larger then the stock opening. i made the radiator box fit right up to the inside of the bumper so in all actuality the bumper is the "scoop" if that makes sense.

Comment

Does it work?
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                        Does it work?
                        no idea, it was like midnight when i finished putting everything back together so i couldn't with good conscience start it up and go cruise it!

Comment

Working...
                        X