Improving air flow through LX front bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving air flow through LX front bumper

How are you guys with A2A coolers, trans coolers, condensers, etc. getting air through there? I have cut out as much of the front bumper as I can tastefully cut out and it still seems like so little of the air goes through the intercooler. I see 120* IAT's just driving around with ambient ~80*.

I am considering taking out the bumper support as it sits incredibly close to the intercooler and probably prevents air from going into the top of the I/C. I know some folks drill out holes through the bumper but I think that looks terrible. I was thinking about cutting from the inside to make the holes around the Ford logo actually flow some air, but this seems like it wouldn't make much difference.

Make an air dam. Hell, you could be fancy and weld a piece of aluminum to the bottom of your air to air. Just know that when it hits a curb you'll be replacing it.

Comment

take the whole fucking bumper off and throw it in the trash. this is the secret the import guys use to go so fast. more flow=mo powa!

Comment

March ram air kit, looks ugly as hell, but works pretty damn good.
        2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
        2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
        2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Originally posted by sspstang View Post
          March ram air kit, looks ugly as hell, but works pretty damn good.
          yeah, at sucking up dirt, leaves, squirrels

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
            yeah, at sucking up dirt, leaves, squirrels
            Meh, depends. Thats pretty old school though. I had one on my old GT. It worked well on the track.
            2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
            2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
            2012 Ford Edge

Comment

We cut the center out completely.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

hey dj do you have any gears for a 7.5 laying around?

Comment

Put a 85/86 Four eye nose back on it and add a small chin spoiler/air damn up front

Comment

The owner of Snow Performance has an LX that he cut out a good chunck out of his. I think he even has an air dam fabbed up to it. There's a lot of pics on the site.
                    --carlos

sigpic

Comment

The Fox front end is designed to scoop air at the bottom using a dam, which lets air move up behind the bumper cover and into the path of the condenser/radiator.

You have to define the airway from how it gets into the engine compartment to its exit. The air will take the path of least resistance. You need to make sure air is not able to move around all those coolers, but is forced through them. You also need to give the air a way to get out of the engine compartment, or else it will stay there and not let cool air in.

I kinda suspect your cowl hood is not sealed to the top of the radiator core support. That could be letting cool air taken in at ground level to go straight up past the radiator, and out at the base of the windshield.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

As I said a long time ago ====> A2W problem solved

The bumper support would probably help and like said earlier get creative with some sheet aluminum and make and air damn.
                        89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                          The Fox front end is designed to scoop air at the bottom using a dam, which lets air move up behind the bumper cover and into the path of the condenser/radiator.

You have to define the airway from how it gets into the engine compartment to its exit. The air will take the path of least resistance. You need to make sure air is not able to move around all those coolers, but is forced through them. You also need to give the air a way to get out of the engine compartment, or else it will stay there and not let cool air in.

I kinda suspect your cowl hood is not sealed to the top of the radiator core support. That could be letting cool air taken in at ground level to go straight up past the radiator, and out at the base of the windshield.
                          Great post.

I have an air dam in place (factory one off a 99-04 mustang), but since I have coolers extending 6+ inches further forward then the OEM design it is pretty much useless.

It seems like my best option at this point is to pull the front bumper off and go to town creating a box for the radiator, granted I won't have the room to do something quite as extensive as this:

But it seems like I could fab something up that would at least seal in any air that does come into the front clip and force it through the radiator.

Comment

What about a 93 cobra front bumper insert? That would help some.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                              What about a 93 cobra front bumper insert? That would help some.
                              That's what I was going to suggest also.
                              Vortex rear stand $75
                              8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                              My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                              but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                              11 4 door
                              13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Working...
                              X