07 Explorer overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 Explorer overheating

My brother's 07 Explorer (4.0L) started overheating over the weekend. They (he and his bro-in-law) found that the thermostat housing was cracked and leaking coolant, so they replaced it along with the thermostat and the temperature sensor.

Problem is, it still overheats, but only under a load. It sat at idle for half an hour and the temp never moved off of the middle of the normal range. While it was idling, the heater was running, but it wasn't blowing hot air. Coolant level was topped off before it sat at idle.

I am a bit baffled by it, so if anyone has any ideas, we are thankful.

In addition, it threw a P0302 causing the CEL to come on, but it also had 2 pending codes. I think they were P0117 and P0602. I don't remember exactly what the P060x code was as it but it was worded very generically about the PCM. It did not give any clue as to what the fault was.
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Air bubble in the cooling system.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
      Right. Try purging it and topping it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        Right. Try purging it and topping it off.
        Attempted that last night. Is there a purge valve of sorts on it somewhere or just do it the normal way of topping off the radiator while it's running?
        كافر

Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
        ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

I don't think there is any bleed valve but on some the best way is to fill and let run like normal then kill the engine and let it cool down a good while the restart and top off as needed until thermostat opens and coolant is flowing well.

Comment

Update:

My brother took the Explorer to the shop on Wednesday (first opportunity since getting home from this trip). They decided it was a blown head gasket or cracked head. Stripped both heads off, sent them to Plano Auto Supply's machine shop to be checked and resurfaced. Heads are fine, the gasket blew between a water port and the combustion chamber.

$2k repair should be done early this week.
            كافر

Comment

That sucks was it not bubbling out of the coolant overflow tank or losing coolant?

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
                Update:

My brother took the Explorer to the shop on Wednesday (first opportunity since getting home from this trip). They decided it was a blown head gasket or cracked head. Stripped both heads off, sent them to Plano Auto Supply's machine shop to be checked and resurfaced. Heads are fine, the gasket blew between a water port and the combustion chamber.

$2k repair should be done early this week.
                Dang 2K for the repair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                04 GT
                91 LX

Comment

Port and polish... Throw some cams in there while ur at it. Make that repair worth it lol.
                  sigpic
                  07 vortech GT - Sold
                  88 fox 5.0 lx hatch - Sold
                  09 procharged GT - Sold
                  14 5.0 M6 road racer - Sold
                  96 GT project car - current

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
                    Attempted that last night. Is there a purge valve of sorts on it somewhere or just do it the normal way of topping off the radiator while it's running?
                    Burp the system . Park it on a hill or on some ramps or some kind of sharp incline with the front of the car pointing up . Let engine run till thermostat opens and gets warm . If there is bubbles somewhere you should start seeing gushing water

Or at least see some bubbles coming to the top and getting outa there

Comment

That sucks was it not bubbling out of the coolant overflow tank or losing coolant?
                      It had a tiny bit of what I thought was steam coming from the radiator, might have been exhaust gases. The only time it actually lost coolant was when it was good and hot, and the engine was under a load. Then it was only pushing it out of the overflow.

It all makes sense now that I think about it. The pressure from the compression stroke and exhaust stroke would push the gases into the coolant passages. With combustion occurring around 1600*, of course the coolant temp is going to rise.

Originally posted by Jucostud View Post
                      Port and polish... Throw some cams in there while ur at it. Make that repair worth it lol.
                      That's kinda what I was thinking, but I don't expect them to keep this thing longer than a couple more years. It only has 70k miles on it, but still. Hell, my dad's truck needs more than a little work and I'm thinking about dropping a 4.6 2V in it and calling it done.

Originally posted by waycooljr View Post
                      Burp the system . Park it on a hill or on some ramps or some kind of sharp incline with the front of the car pointing up . Let engine run till thermostat opens and gets warm . If there is bubbles somewhere you should start seeing gushing water

Or at least see some bubbles coming to the top and getting outa there
                      I'll be nice about this...

Read the rest of the posts before you respond. I already pointed out that it has a blown head gasket.
                      كافر

Comment

Working...
                      X