LS motor guys...camshaft question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS motor guys...camshaft question..

so, our camaro has an LS6 in it and a custom cam. I found the cam card on it and the specs are .609"/.625" with a 226/234 on a 114 LSA....

two questions:

1. Is that a big cam for a stock LS6 with LT's?
    2. What kind of rwhp numbers should I be seeing?

thanks...

<----learning LS motors now.....

It probably should make around 400whp. That's on the high end for an average cam in a street car. I would keep an eye on the springs and make sure you have a great set if you run it hard.

Comment

It's not too big considering,but it's a big cam to me.
      400 with the right tuner (Sam Miller)
      Like JW said keep an eye on the springs,I would have them checked for cheap insurance,especially if you don't know what springs you have.
      Big split in duration and lift,I would say its a FI cam.
      Last edited by "MrEd"; 04-02-2012, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Do you have any video of it idling? I'm curious to what it sounds like with that big of a lift and not so big duration
        1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
          Do you have any video of it idling? I'm curious to what it sounds like with that big of a lift and not so big duration
          I'll see what I can come up with when I get back in town later in the week. It sounds pretty sick with the Dr. Gas oval Xpipe with true duals I built and no mufflers, especially when on track at full song. with the lightweight dual clutch setup, it revs Quick!!!

When the wife had the cam put in a couple years ago, they did some expensive double valve springs, but I think it still has stock rocker arms. It made 385 to the wheels at Speedtech, 375 at Alamo, but I found that the pedal cover on the gas pedal had 3" long bolts through it that kept the throttle from going all the way to the floor. My guess is it's making close or just over 400 to the wheels now that the TB opens all the way. the previous shops working on the car REALLY did not know what they were doing.

I had a couple of "money shifts" this weekend and it lived. Crappy ass shifter keeps getting second instead of a nice 3-4 shift. Thankfully, I am really good at catching it quickly...but I am ordering the new MGW for it tomorrow night. When I looked about 18 months ago, MGW did not have one for the fbody t56 and now they do! I LOVE the one in my mustang so hopefully, it should be better.

Just trying to learn more about the motor so I can recognize issues before they become BIG problems.

Thanks for the input and I will try to get that video up later in the week. it's a seriously mean sounding camaro.

Comment

From what I know a serious oil cooler and the largest Accusump you can fit should help it live. If the motor does pop the LS6 crate motor are actually fairly cheap for what they are and you may have some decent parts left over to sell if it's not blowed up too bad.

Comment

Well, I went to the shop today and took a video with my phone...suffice to say the microphone was breaking up badly due to how loud the car was. I'll charge up the regular video camera and take it out there tomorrow.

found the first complaint about the new Galaxy Note phone....

Comment

Gonna bring this back from the dead since I need to go get the car dyno'd for next year.

Need to know what rwhp range the stock LS1 injectors are good to. I am considering finding a fast intake and TB and then having it tuned for max power and shooting for 420rwhp.

Any ideas how to get there?

Thanks!

Comment

gonna have to have one of my tunes for sure!

what power range are you going to run the car in? i figure this is a road race car and will need a stout valve train for sustained high rpm, correct?

Comment

114lsa is weak, son!
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                      Gonna bring this back from the dead since I need to go get the car dyno'd for next year.

Need to know what rwhp range the stock LS1 injectors are good to. I am considering finding a fast intake and TB and then having it tuned for max power and shooting for 420rwhp.

Any ideas how to get there?

Thanks!
                      on a dry kit mine put down 470 on stock injectors, waaayyyy back in 2001
                      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

how are you keeping that lsjuan alive w/o blowing it up RRing it?
                        accusump?
                        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                          how are you keeping that lsjuan alive w/o blowing it up RRing it?
                          accusump?
                          Accusumps are for chumps who want an extra 6 seconds of engine life before the motor still goes boom. It's also an LS6 with the LS6 intake/TB. Been thinking of getting the FAST combo and seeing if we can get some peak power out of it.

She has been running 20w50 amsoil since day one. We keep the coolant temps 200 or lower and run the pan 1 to 1.5 qts high. Valvetrain has some $$$$ rediculous valve springs in it and we keep the revs below 6200 most of the time and 6400 when we need it.

Goal HP range is 420 at the wheels. If it did 405 to 410 that's cool, I'd just cut some weight out of the car. Car was on the numbers for 8.4:1 power to weight but they just lowered it to 7.6:1 and we need to find some HP. My mustang is fuq'd as I need to find 75rwhp and I can't get there with a n/a 2V but that is a problem for another day.

edited: it does have an LS6 intake after verifying the part number.
                          Last edited by aggie97; 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                            on a dry kit mine put down 470 on stock injectors, waaayyyy back in 2001
                            Not a nitrous guru so dry kit means you were running the fuel enrichment through the tune/injectors right?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                              Accusumps are for chumps who want an extra 6 seconds of engine life before the motor still goes boom. It's also an LS6 with the LS1 intake/TB. Been thinking of getting the FAST combo and seeing if we can get some peak power out of it.

She has been running 20w50 amsoil since day one. We keep the coolant temps 200 or lower and run the pan 1 to 1.5 qts high. Valvetrain has some $$$$ rediculous valve springs in it and we keep the revs below 6200 most of the time and 6400 when we need it.

Goal HP range is 420 at the wheels. If it did 405 to 410 that's cool, I'd just cut some weight out of the car. Car was on the numbers for 8.4:1 power to weight but they just lowered it to 7.6:1 and we need to find some HP. My mustang is fuq'd as I need to find 75rwhp and I can't get there with a n/a 2V but that is a problem for another day.
                              you turning into a chebby guy?
                              Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                              X