Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CV joint? Steering rack? Failing wheel bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV joint? Steering rack? Failing wheel bearing?

1990 ford Festiva, FWD manual rack/pinion.

The car has started making a whirring/grinding type of noise from the right front. Turning the car right eliminates the noise. While driving the car gets a mild vibration thru the wheel and some vibration when braking. Vibration is speed dependent. Handling has gotten skittish (will vaguely move itself around with no steering wheel input). Car does make a clicking sound when turned left to the lock.

The wheel bearings are always suspect on these cars, so I lifted the car and got no play pushing @ 12oclock/6oclock. However, I get some slop from 3oclock/9oclock. I looked and it appears as if the inner tie rod is moving in the rack, which I see as the steering rack having too much play. Can the rack be faulty and cause the symptoms I have?
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

man, alot of those symptoms sound like CV, others dont, im lost....
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Could be the inner joint. They're a little tougher to detect. I had one go bad in a '94 Legend some years back, and it about drove me nuts trying to figure it out.

Comment

Do those cars have rag joints? Does the exhaust run closer to the steering shaft then the original motor? That would explain road walk, the other I'd thick inner tie rods

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Kinda sounds like a cv joint and an inner socket. To test the wheel bearings, a cheap stethoscope makes it easy. Just compare left to right.

Can't get much more than that over the net.
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
            Do those cars have rag joints? Does the exhaust run closer to the steering shaft then the original motor? That would explain road walk, the other I'd thick inner tie rods
            The rag joint I need to eyeball, exhaust runs directly under the motor/K member
            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
            dont downshift!!
            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Working...
            X