Crack in my cross member, welder needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack in my cross member, welder needed

I found a crack in the crossmember of my 93 Lightning where to driver side I-Beam bracket bolts through the crossmember. I'm definately not a welder so this won't be happening at the casa unless someone has a portable welder. I was told that a stick 6011, whatever that means, would offer the best penetration. It has to be ground down flat after it's welded for reassembly. I was informed another board member , Mustgofaster, had this same problem corrected by James B, but he's over an hour drive away. Anyone closer tom Arlington with experience in fixing this problem on I-Beam equipped F150's?

First off, don't let anyone near it with a stick welder - this isn't a farm tractor. A 6011 rod is a 'general purpose, any position' welding rod.

It could be 'stick' welded, and be plenty strong - It's just not the 'right' way for a automobile. It's only if, "there was no other option" kind of thing.

I'm not sure what this crack looks like, where it is etc.. but if it's structural, it needs to be TIG welded.

Comment

I would agree that it needs TIG but to say a stick weld is not structural is a bad assumption. But I can't help you on this problem so I'm only slapping my gums.
      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

It it the point where 2 large bolts go throught the crossmember and into the I beam bracket. It holds on the rear of the I beam bracket. It's under the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
          I would agree that it needs TIG but to say a stick weld is not structural is a bad assumption. But I can't help you on this problem so I'm only slapping my gums.

I didn't say that stick welding couldn't be used for structural use, and certainly didn't assume anything, but I did say "this isn't a farm tractor". It takes a very skilled hand to correctly wield an arc welder properly... A skilled hand who's not likely to be willing to weld on a car even if you did find one. Not something even I would tackle... and I've probably done more stick welding than I have TIG welding.

Automotive 'strucutural' welding - ALL TIG welded and MIG welded. It's not even 'legal' (in NHRA) to weld anything on a car with a stick welder. (not that it matters, but you get the idea)

Industrial and farm use = stick welding 90% of the time. (no that's not a 'real world number - but in my 20 years of welding, that's what I'd guestimate it at)

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
            but in my 20 years of welding, that's what I'd guestimate it at)
            Pffttt what do you know?
            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Stick welding is for pipe welding and welding buildings together.

Never see stick welding where I work with over 75 welders.

Just get it MIG or TIG welded

Comment

Here is a pic

Comment

Just JB weld that mofo up

Comment

That was along time ago I believe I tig'ed it I remember it being a pia to get to
                    If I remember right it right where the motor mount bolt in
                    JamesB Chassis is looking for a fabricator/general shop help, call or PM for info.

Comment

Lightning Repair.

So how much to weld and gusset the spot if you are willing?

Comment

Working...
                      X