Brought the 75 Formula 400 home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brought the 75 Formula 400 home

Brought it home and have been tinkering with it a little bit. I havent decided if I want to build it pro touring or just put it back stock and sell it to build me a later model one. It actually has brakes and he found the keys to it. I believe with a radiator it would probably fire, run and drive. I was excited to find out they make a fiberglass bumper cover and lower spoiler for the front since this was a two year only nose on it. He bought it in 07 and rebuilt the factory 400 motor and tranny around 08 and there it sat never fired. If anything I am saving it from a slow death. The interior is actually in fairly decent shape. Rust is on that back valance piece by the trunk and the two lower rears have it in the quarters (150.00 from year one). Trunk and pans look good. Factory was silver with a black top.

Whos your Daddy?

I say a mild PT car. Nice wheels and brakes with a stock interior/exterior.
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

So much potential here. I would go LS swapped, with 4 wheel discs, tubular suspension. I am glad you finally got it!!
      2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
      2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
      2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Very cool project
        1997 viper gts
        1986 turbo mustang
        1987 Buick grand national
        1972 nova

Comment

a+

Comment

Remember when they came off the transport truck when I worked at R.O. Evans as a tech. Damn I'm fucking old.
            I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,

but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

Comment

One of my neighbors used to have a '72 Grand Prix he bought from there. Man you are old.

Nice pick up on the Firebird. Put a radiator in, and get her driving. Barn find is IN!
              Rich

Comment

love that hood

Comment

looks fast
                  Awwwwww skeet skeet skeet
                  03gt intech POWA!

Comment

Looks like alot of work
                    GOD BLESS TEXAS
                    August Landscaping
                    214-779-7278
                    Seb's high class.
                    He'll mow your grass.
                    He'll kick your ass.
                    And while his kidney stones pass,
                    He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

It does look like a lot of work - but the car IS almost 40 years old.

The good news is that most everything you'll need is available repop now; even the dash pads are finally starting to appear.

The 400 that's in there will have plenty of torque as is, and with a head swap to KRE or Edelbrock aluminum heads you can have a lot more. I can't tell if thats a 2bbl or a 4bbl intake, but if it's a factory 4bbl intake don't toss it; it flows as good as aftermarket dual plane intakes. The factory suspension is quite good. And 462 cubic inches is just a simple stroker kit away if you want more.

Get a copy of jim hand's book "How to Build Max Performance Pontiac V8s" - it's invaluable.

Comment

Ditch the poncho and throw an LS in there and keep that hood, its tits. That nose on the other hand.......

**EDIT** BTW, I always liked pncho motors but they are $$$ to build and an LS will be cheaper and make more power IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                          It does look like a lot of work - but the car IS almost 40 years old.

The good news is that most everything you'll need is available repop now; even the dash pads are finally starting to appear.

The 400 that's in there will have plenty of torque as is, and with a head swap to KRE or Edelbrock aluminum heads you can have a lot more. I can't tell if thats a 2bbl or a 4bbl intake, but if it's a factory 4bbl intake don't toss it; it flows as good as aftermarket dual plane intakes. The factory suspension is quite good. And 462 cubic inches is just a simple stroker kit away if you want more.

Get a copy of jim hand's book "How to Build Max Performance Pontiac V8s" - it's invaluable.
                          Yeah I am learning that bumper for the front is not available unless you have seen it somewhere. There was a place in Texas making a fiberglass one but he told me his supplier quite making them. It is a factory 4bbl and the motor has been fully rebuilt so I probably wont mess with that. Everything else is easy and I have drug up way worse and for the most part this thing is complete. I am sure there are a thousand regular Firebirds out there in wrecking yards so it might not be a big issue finding the nose piece or I bet I could have one made out of metal. Ehh I can always part it out if it pisses me off to much.

Hmm I did not know you could slap a 73 nose on it. Now that is tempting.
                          Last edited by kingjason; 03-20-2012, 06:36 PM.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            Hmm I did not know you could slap a 73 nose on it. Now that is tempting.
                            That would look killer IMO.

Comment

I was considering that butttt I located a nice bumper for it today I think. I hate to butch it up since it has some neat options. I do like the older front ends though. This one will be a light resto mod or touring. When I build my 81 turbo TA it will be a nice LS1 turbo conversion. No hurry on either though. Then a nice 68 and 98 I will be set. I am going to skip the whole 84-97 generation.

My plans are a 1-2 inch drop, restore the wheels, add a rear spoiler, then I might even put the black top back on it. Although no drop and some 18in black torque thrusts wouldnt be to bad either.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X