Sacrilegious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacrilegious?

Would it be sacrilegious for me to put an LS motor in my '66? There is no doubting the potential with the LS motors and they are roughly based on a SBF. I've seen where another guy did it in an almost racecar Mustang using GTO long tubes. Run it carbed and put a monster cam in it, I think people would be willing to overlook the fact that it's a GM heart in a Ford. Ideas?
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

drop it in there....
    first class white trash

Comment

will people "overlook" the fact it is a lsx, nope, will it kick ass, yep!

go fuel injected though, adds to the pimp factor of moving to a newer motor, plus you can grab a 5.3 w/a harness for cheap, converting it to stand-alone cost almost nothing, and if you ever decide to go boosted or add a overdrive transmission you will have a pcm that is capable of the job.

if you get serious about it let me know, i can give you some time saving pointers for sure.

Comment

hell no, do it!
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

was it sacrilegious when Carroll Shelby put a Ford V8 in a little british roadster?

who gives a shit? At the end of the day, it's just a bunch of steel and aluminum and some nuts and bolts. do whatever you want
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Also, not sure what your current front end setup looks like, but I am willing to bet you'd want to go to a mustang ii front end and cut out the towers if you swap in an lsx. might not be "required", but would make it a lot easier.

Comment

Do it. Leave it EFI. I never understood the carb'd LS thing. Seems like adding a lot of cost and complexity for no gain.
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                Do it. Leave it EFI. I never understood the carb'd LS thing. Seems like adding a lot of cost and complexity for no gain.
                no doubt that the carb'd motors make more power n/a, but i like efi, i like starting my cammed/turbo'd 79 mustang it hitting on the first turn, going straight to idle, and being able to drive away with no stutters or other odd behavior no matter what the temp is out side.

oh, and tuning it is about a million times more precise.

Comment

If I had to do my current set up over again it would be a lsx with a turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                    Also, not sure what your current front end setup looks like, but I am willing to bet you'd want to go to a mustang ii front end and cut out the towers if you swap in an lsx. might not be "required", but would make it a lot easier.
                    From my understanding, the LSx is about the same size as a 351W which makes it a tight fit but no cutting required. I could trim my towers down a little to ease maintenance but it isn't required.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                      From my understanding, the LSx is about the same size as a 351W which makes it a tight fit but no cutting required. I could trim my towers down a little to ease maintenance but it isn't required.
                      It's sure way the hell smaller than any ford mod motor
                      And it's not nearly as tall as the SBF's
                      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

This guy has a full tube chassis and C5 suspension though,

Modded GTO headers:

LS1 in a 66 Mustang:

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

It'll be cool for a few years, then it'll seem outdated. You wouldn't want an LT-1 in there but a few years ago it would've seemed cool. I am a mustang guy but not too hardcore to realize the awesome-ness of the ls motors. You are lucky enough to have a nice classic car. It will never be outdated just because of what it is. If you want more power put an ls in some old shitbox fox. I have had a buttload of cars in the last few years but i still cant get my hands on a 60's stang like yours. My first car was a 64 1/2 with a 351, ran like a beast and chevy and ford guys both respected it.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpony View Post
                              It'll be cool for a few years, then it'll seem outdated. You wouldn't want an LT-1 in there but a few years ago it would've seemed cool. I am a mustang guy but not too hardcore to realize the awesome-ness of the ls motors. You are lucky enough to have a nice classic car. It will never be outdated just because of what it is. If you want more power put an ls in some old shitbox fox. I have had a buttload of cars in the last few years but i still cant get my hands on a 60's stang like yours. My first car was a 64 1/2 with a 351, ran like a beast and chevy and ford guys both respected it.
                              Thanks, but LSx foxes are becoming common. How many classics do you see with LSx's? I just can't replicate the power/reliability with the SBF for the $$. To get my motor to make 350hp I'd need to buy $2k worth of parts when the LSx does it from the get go. It's also not like I could never swap it back out.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                              X