Need help with 84 GN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 84 GN

Long story short, I have an 84 Buick GN (3.8l turbo) had it running and when I went to tighten the cam sensor I knocked it off place and cracked the cap. Well I ordered a cap with the l.e.d so I all I have to do is bring #1 to TDC and set it. Well now when i go to start it I get a loud ass back fire. It backfired so hard it blew the muffler off. Any idea what it could be ? I prefer someone to come spend a couple hours with me to try to figure it out, I'll give whoever can help me start it up some cash. Thanks in advance.

I've posted on 2 GN/t-type forums but they are ghost towns so I'm sure someone here can help.
    Street car.

did you post on turbobuick.com, there are some guys on there that are sharp with those cars. Is it possible that you got the cam sensor 180 degrees out somehow. I'm not sure about the turbo 3.8's, but the non turbo injected models (87-up) didn't require a cam sensor signal to start, only for sequential injector control. They used a dual pickup crank sensor to get the ignition and basic injector control.

Comment

I thought it could have been 180 out also but I removed it and stabbed it back in With #1 at TDCand still doing the same thing. Yeah I posted over there, about to check a couple over things i was told to do.
      Street car.

Comment

Got it running, the timing is off pretty bad but it's driving!
        Street car.

Comment

well, what was it?

Comment

The ignition module, I'm using one off an 87 with caspers conversion harness. I didn't know they have different firing orders.
            Street car.

Comment

Now I need a new y-pipe because when it backfired it blew it off. lol
              Street car.

Comment

good deal, getting it running anyway

Comment

I think you got that ignition module from me. Do you know Junior with the Chevelle?

Comment

Originally posted by BadGN1 View Post
                    I think you got that ignition module from me. Do you know Junior with the Chevelle?
                    Yes sir, i still have yours put up. I was looking for the bracket to mount it and found the module/bracket for 75 bucks. I been dying to see yours, Jr says its real nice.
                    Street car.

Comment

Maybe we should have a DFWMUSTANGS Turbo Buick get together....I'll have to borrow a trailer so I can bring mine Sorry I couldn't help ya with that cam sensor but its been a LONG time since I worked on a hotair car and I didn't want to give bad advice. The module is something I should have known since I upgraded my hotair to an 87 ECM and 87 coil and module before I did the full blown conversion. Hopefully I will get mine back on the road before I die from old age or the world ends..whichever comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by Drs2288 View Post
                        Now I need a new y-pipe because when it backfired it blew it off. lol
                        Just exactly what broke? Did the header flanges break? Never heard of that happening. Not that 83-85 headers and crossover pipe are extremely well made....but DAMN!! Take some pics...I wanna see this. Those crossover pipes are the same on the 83-87's...and possibly on the 78-82 but I'm not sure on that. Finding one should be pretty easy.

Comment

Man, I need some turbo Buick in my life!
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                            Maybe we should have a DFWMUSTANGS Turbo Buick get together....I'll have to borrow a trailer so I can bring mine Sorry I couldn't help ya with that cam sensor but its been a LONG time since I worked on a hotair car and I didn't want to give bad advice. The module is something I should have known since I upgraded my hotair to an 87 ECM and 87 coil and module before I did the full blown conversion. Hopefully I will get mine back on the road before I die from old age or the world ends..whichever comes first.
                            Not a problem man, them things are tricky, lol. I'm guessing it fell apart because of it being old. It pretty much fell apart towards the middle of the pipe. I'll post pics later on once the sun comes out. I'm planning on putting an 87!ECM on it also here pretty soon.
                            Once you get yours going all of use should get together, mine isn't the prettiest or fastest but I plan on fixing that soon.
                            Street car.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                              Yours isn't the only one that's down, just getting mine back together with new headgaskets! Long story,lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X