89 coupe TPS issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 coupe TPS issue

I have an 89 coupe with a factory stock 94 cobra engine installed with an explorer upper. Only mods are U/D Pulleys, and full exhaust running the 24lb cobra injectors. The car seems to run sluggish under acceleration with the tps sensor connected but when its is disconnected runs perfectly fine and has power. Now i swapped it over with another Ford TPS sensor from my other Mustang and it still runs like crap. Would running the 24lb injectors with out the corresponding MAF cause this? No vacuum leaks were found and this has me puzzled. The newer TPS Sensor was out of a speed density 88 but not sure if they are different.

partial payment.

yes you need to chane the mass airflow sensors out.

Comment

Anyone else deal with this?

Comment

and dont use the 94 mass air you need to get one for you 89 that is for 24lbs

Comment

Multiple issues here.
          You did not mention setting the TPS voltage. Make certain it is somewhere between .9 and .99 volts.

Running bigger injectors without a "calibrated" MAF will cause issues.
          You need either a custom tune to do it right, or find a Pro-M for 24 lb injectors.

DO NOT run a 93 Cobra MAF (for 24s) unless you have the Cobra ECM. You will have issues.

Your best bet, based on the engine you described, is to swap the 19 lb injectors back in. While the 24s are by no means overkill, the 19s are more than capable of feeding that engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post
            Your best bet, based on the engine you described, is to swap the 19 lb injectors back in. While the 24s are by no means overkill, the 19s are more than capable of feeding that engine.
            This

Comment

x3, and, for future reference, the TPS voltage is fine (closed throttle) anywhere from 0.49-1.20 volts... although best to keep it in the 0.70-1.00 range to account for inaccurate meters, fluctuations, etc.

Comment

x4

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll get those injectors swapped.

Comment

i ran a a9p with a cobra maf and 24's with no problems i know thw cal for the injectors is in the cobra computer ( learned this after the fact) but the car ran fine. I would look at the tps voltage first.

Comment

Working...
                    X