Power steering pulley loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pulley loose

I'm having problems with the alternator belt chirping and breaking on my 93 Cobra. The power steering pulley has front to back play so I'm sure that is the cause of my belt issues. Can I tighten the pulley or is the a sign that the pulley needs to be replaced or do I have to replace the pump also?

That pulley is pressed on. If it is "loose" then the shaft might have worn on the pump. Probably be a good idea to replace both the pulley and the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by mustvid View Post
      I'm having problems with the alternator belt chirping and breaking on my 93 Cobra. The power steering pulley has front to back play so I'm sure that is the cause of my belt issues. Can I tighten the pulley or is the a sign that the pulley needs to be replaced or do I have to replace the pump also?
      A "little" play is normal. It will move in and out just enough to notice. Look elsewhere for the problem

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        That pulley is pressed on. If it is "loose" then the shaft might have worn on the pump. Probably be a good idea to replace both the pulley and the pump.
        That's what is was thinking too, it's the original equipment. This sounds more involved and includes bleeding the lines right? How much will it cost to have someone do it? I'm a novice mechanic at best.

Comment

Originally posted by G.. View Post
          A "little" play is normal. It will move in and out just enough to notice. Look elsewhere for the problem
          It's the only pulley that has play and it's the factory equipment.

Comment

Normal

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

The tensioner pulley doesn't have any play, but it does make noise when I spin it. Kind of sounds like a grinding noise. Its the factory tensioner too.
              Last edited by mustvid; 02-12-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

That's what is was thinking too, it's the original equipment. This sounds more involved and includes bleeding the lines right? How much will it cost to have someone do it? I'm a novice mechanic at best.

You have to take the bracket assembly off, press the pulley off with a removal tool(auto parts stores have free rental on them, but it is sort of a pain in the ass), unbolt the pump from the bracket, rebolt the new one, then press the pulley back on, then reinstall the whole deal. Bleeding is no big deal, just leave the cap off, and turn the wheel while it is running and keep topping off the fluid. That is the easiest part. Most reman pumps you're going to have a break in period of 500 miles before the whine goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  You have to take the bracket assembly off, press the pulley off with a removal tool(auto parts stores have free rental on them, but it is sort of a pain in the ass), unbolt the pump from the bracket, rebolt the new one, then press the pulley back on, then reinstall the whole deal. Bleeding is no big deal, just leave the cap off, and turn the wheel while it is running and keep topping off the fluid. That is the easiest part. Most reman pumps you're going to have a break in period of 500 miles before the whine goes away.
                  This.

Marty - it's easy to do. Eric pretty much summed it up right here. I'd also replace the idler.

Comment

It's the only pulley that has play and it's the factory equipment.
                    Like I said its normal. Look elsewhere for problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X