Coilovers worth the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers worth the money?

Looking at the Eibach Coilovers for my 88lx hatch. I want to slam it about 2 inches and figures Coilovers would be worth the extra money. I can get them for $1,200 from tirerack. Worth it? Or should I just get the sportlines with prokit dampers?
    sigpic
    07 vortech GT - Sold
    88 fox 5.0 lx hatch - Sold
    09 procharged GT - Sold
    14 5.0 M6 road racer - Sold
    96 GT project car - current

Adjustment = worth it.

Comment

Is the Coilovers going to ride or handle better? Or is the adjustability the only big difference?
      sigpic
      07 vortech GT - Sold
      09 procharged GT - Sold

Comment

with coilovers the geometry is much better, with the same coil rating as before, you will get far superior ride quality. With this in mind, lots go with increased spring rates knowing ahead of time that they will have a decent ride already, but want more handling.

One of the cons of coilovers is they can be noisy. Can be, not always. Mine i cant notice.

Comment

What else should I buy with the Coilovers? Suspension is stock and I'm dropping it about 2 inches. I know I'll need an alignment, but will the rest of the suspension be fine for now? On my 07 I had to get a bunch of extra stuff to drop it besides the shocks and springs.
          sigpic
          07 vortech GT - Sold
          09 procharged GT - Sold

Comment

Anything drop past 1.5 inches and you will need a bumpsteer kit and/or off-set rack bushings in order to get your rack geometry aligned properly.
            01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Strong caster/camber plates. With coilovers they will hold all the wieght of the front end.
              Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
              90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Jucostud View Post
                Looking at the Eibach Coilovers for my 88lx hatch. I want to slam it about 2 inches and figures Coilovers would be worth the extra money. I can get them for $1,200 from tirerack. Worth it? Or should I just get the sportlines with prokit dampers?
                Another thing that is great about coil overs is that you will have the ability to scale (corner weight) the car. You would be surprised how much more improvement in handling you can get from scaling it. Just lowering is 1/2 of the improvement.
                Last edited by CYAZ06; 02-08-2012, 08:49 AM.
                "Racing is life.....everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen

Comment

What exactly is that? Can you elaborate a little more?

Comment

Yes, but I'd look at the UPR kits vs $1200. I used the UPR 4-bolt billet C/C plates when I ran coil-overs on my car.
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by waycooljr View Post
                      What exactly is that? Can you elaborate a little more?
                      Here is a great article about it. Takes usually about 2 hours to do and well worth it.

Properly corner weighting your race car can allow you better handling to best the competition on track.
                      Last edited by CYAZ06; 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CYAZ06 View Post
                        Here is a great article about it. Takes usually about 2 hours to do is all and well worth it.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...orner-weights/
                        Cool read, really informative. Thanks for posting that.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                          Yes, but I'd look at the UPR kits vs $1200. I used the UPR 4-bolt billet C/C plates when I ran coil-overs on my car.
                          I would go with the maximum motorsports over all others.
                          07 GT500
                          05 SRT10
                          88 turbocoupe T-bird
                          93 Cobra
                          86 coupe
                          Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
                            I would go with the maximum motorsports over all others.
                            I agree but I put the budget minded kit out there. MM is great IMO
                            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                              I agree but I put the budget minded kit out there. MM is great IMO
                              Here is the other extreme. Unbeatable though.......

In the end......no matter what you get, ask yourself if what you are getting is going to limit you at all in the future for add-on capabilities. It is always worth it to spend a little more now......then allot more later. And most importantly.......make sure it is Set Up correctly. Leverage your investment.

Comment

Working...
                              X