Clicky Clacky rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicky Clacky rear end

I've got a click clack from the rear end that has the classic bad ujoint sound. It is not at road speed but at driveshaft speed. I pulled the driveshaft and replaced the entire unit with a spare. The sound is still there. The u-joints seemed ok in the draveshaft I removed. Can the pinion bearing make a click clack sound if it loses its preload? It probably has 9 months on a rebuild where I replaced all the bearings, races, gears, and axles. I was meticulous in getting the preload correct. Has anyone had a pinion nut back off or have the crush sleeve crush more after install? This car is stock power levels and shouldn't be breaking stuff in the rear end. I'm going to replace the u-joints and see if there is any wiggle in the pinion.

Thanks,
    Andy Cost

Equipe Rapide - Supreme Commander

88 LX - CP Autocrosser

The pinion nut can back off, but it's usually because one of two things

1)improper setup - you can't back it off to obtain preload, always tighten. Over tightened and then loosened will get you every time.

2)hard launches on slicks will crush a sleeve in the 'right' circumstances - the main reason they have 'solid' crush sleeves.

I don't believe that's your problem though. If it were, it would manifest itself in other ways like whining gears, popping etc.

I suspect that if it's what I think it is, I bet the axles are loose against the carrier pin (C clips are too thin, maybe worn) and the noise you are hearing are the axles sliding in and out about 1/8" or so. You can jack the car up by the rear end and grab the wheel at the top and bottom.. move it in and out with some vigor, you'll hear what I'm talking about.

Comment

I didn't back off the crush washer. I do have a new powertrax but the axles seem to be pretty tight against the pin.
      Andy Cost

Equipe Rapide - Supreme Commander

88 LX - CP Autocrosser

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
        The pinion nut can back off, but it's usually because one of two things

1)improper setup - you can't back it off to obtain preload, always tighten. Over tightened and then loosened will get you every time.

2)hard launches on slicks will crush a sleeve in the 'right' circumstances - the main reason they have 'solid' crush sleeves.

I don't believe that's your problem though. If it were, it would manifest itself in other ways like whining gears, popping etc.

I suspect that if it's what I think it is, I bet the axles are loose against the carrier pin (C clips are too thin, maybe worn) and the noise you are hearing are the axles sliding in and out about 1/8" or so. You can jack the car up by the rear end and grab the wheel at the top and bottom.. move it in and out with some vigor, you'll hear what I'm talking about.
        How would you fix that? A Thicker C-clip? or just do C-clip eliminators?

Comment

Originally posted by green1995gt View Post
          How would you fix that? A Thicker C-clip? or just do C-clip eliminators?
          Sometimes the c clips are cupped and simply replacing them fixes it. Eliminators or 9" ends would be the best fix IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
            Sometimes the c clips are cupped and simply replacing them fixes it. Eliminators or 9" ends would be the best fix IMHO.
            If I pull the wheels out and in really hard should there be any movement at all?
            I have not tried yet, but my rear-end has a little weird noise moving slow. And we have replaced everything dont know if the noise is from all spherical bushings or maybe that there is a problem there. If thats the case then I am doing the eliminators.

Comment

Originally posted by green1995gt View Post
              If I pull the wheels out and in really hard should there be any movement at all?
              I have not tried yet, but my rear-end has a little weird noise moving slow. And we have replaced everything dont know if the noise is from all spherical bushings or maybe that there is a problem there. If thats the case then I am doing the eliminators.
              yeah, there will be some movement, but nothing major.

Spherical bushings shouldn't make any noise at all, if they do - there's something moving in a direction it shouldn't be moving in.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomadtrash View Post
                I didn't back off the crush washer. I do have a new powertrax but the axles seem to be pretty tight against the pin.
                Have you checked the springs in the powertrax? I had one that broke springs frequently to to a sloppy install, and it was rattling around.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                X