No announcement yet.

Can Welding Kill O2 Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your first link is extremely generalized and considers all kinds of GMAW. With GMAW considered, it also lumps in the flux core (industrial style, not home use type shit) and everything else under the sun that could be remotely close to GMAW -so, even a first grader could see that an 180A (max) home MIG welder is not the same as a 500A flux core 'mig' welder on a robot - even though they are both GMAW...not even considering the sheilding gas they use (if even used).

Your second link, is SMAW - aka, Arc welding and again "temperatures can reach as high as" doesn't fit into home / general hobby use...and although I shouldn't have to say it, but if you're arc welding on a car - here's your sign.

3rd link, a pdf - don't have a pdf viewer on this machine, but I'm sure it's some sort of the same regurgitated information in the other two links.

4th link, I'm sure you only read up to the "TIG welding produces temperatures up to 35,000 degrees Fahrenheit" part - again, hobby/general shop use is no where near the same as industrial use and that's not even considering the difference in heat between the A/C and D/C currents - with A/C bieng on the VERY high side. There's nothing in a house that could supply current to reach 35,000*

....lastly, I won't even get into the shielding gas debate and it's affect on temperature (which undoubtedly is used on the high side of some of those ranges of temperature)

...and there's nothing on a most cars that can be 'successfully' welded over about 150A.

..just sayin.

EDIT** - after thinking about this some more, it's fairly obvious that we're getting off the beaten path of the post - but the obvious answer is YES, the heat from welding will kill a sensor if it's close enough and intense enough.
    Last edited by turbostang; 02-08-2012, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Well to end yhe Thread....after the 3rd fill up I am back to 25 MPG so I didnt ruin the O2 sensor. The PCM just needed time to learn after the battery was disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        lol.

Excessive heat can kill any electronic sensor.
        He didn't say he was welding the sensor, he simply asked if welding on the header would hurt it.
        Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

Working...
        X