Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought on horn button for line lock and 2 step?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought on horn button for line lock and 2 step?

Back in my bike days I used the horn button for my air shifter and it worked great, right where I needed it, etc. I had it on a switch, horn if the switch was in one position, air shifter if it was in the other position.

Thinking about hooking my line lock and 2 step to the horn this way in my coupe. Have an "on-off-on" switch, one way it's a line lock, middle is horn, other way it's a 2 step. Only problems I see are if the horn button is decent for holding for extended periods, I know some momentary switched can have problems keeping a steady circuit which would be a problem for the line lock especially.

Anyone done this and have any feedback? Seems reasonable and easy, but maybe I'm not thinking about something.

works great, horn is either the horn, a line lock, or a two step (or any combination of those). didn't realize how much i was missing a line lock. i have a feeling that i'm going to hook A LOT better. took it out for a little test and what i thought was a "little burn out" ended up filling the car/street with a thick smoke! two step works good too, didn't get to really lean on it since i need to play with the set point so it won't try to drive through it.

Comment

thats awesome!
      Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
      90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
        thats awesome!
        the line lock is sweet. i could never figure out why the car never would shift during burnouts. no matter what gear i started in it'd only burnout in 1st so i had to keep the rpm's super high and even then the wheel speed would only be around 25mph. today i went out, shifted through the burnout perfect, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. wheel speed at 3k rpm was like 60mph (hence the thick smoke). it was also so much easier on the engine, sounded like it had no load on it. stupid as it sounds, this is one of my favorite mod's so far.

Comment

Back in the day I used the on and off cruise control button on my old fox as a nawz button, I thought it w was a lil stealthy :-) guess the horn button is just as good

Comment

I just used it cause I always have one hand on the shifter and one on the steering wheel. I was going to buy a knob for my quarter stick that has a button built in, but worried that I'd accidentally hit it while making a pass, I've never accidentally hit the horn however!

Comment

On the ranger I mounted my 2step in place of the A/C on off button. Not sure where to mount my line lock yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                On the ranger I mounted my 2step in place of the A/C on off button. Not sure where to mount my line lock yet.
                Only problem I had with that was not having my hands where they need to be. I want to be able to come off the 2 step with my hands where they are supposed to be. I thought about hooking it to the brake light switch, but read that they are not always quick enough which can cause problems.

Comment

Your two step needs to be something other than hand actuated.

I'd put a microswitch on the brake pedal. If you bump that two step button going down the track, you will wish you didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                    Your two step needs to be something other than hand actuated.

I'd put a microswitch on the brake pedal. If you bump that two step button going down the track, you will wish you didn't.

what happens at the end of the run while the revs are still up but i need to get on the brakes to slow down?

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                      Only problem I had with that was not having my hands where they need to be. I want to be able to come off the 2 step with my hands where they are supposed to be. I thought about hooking it to the brake light switch, but read that they are not always quick enough which can cause problems.
                      my a/c is right above my shifter, my truck is a stick as well. I let off the two step, and reach right down to the shifter. by that point its time to shift anyway. works good for me. Might not for you.

Comment

Mine is an auto, but when I am strapped in good it is hard to even reach the a/c controls! I like to be sitting with one hand on the shifter and the other on the wheel.

Comment

ya, my ranger is pretty cramped. I can see your problem. my last svo had it mounted on the wheel. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post

Mine is an auto, but when I am strapped in good it is hard to even reach the a/c controls! I like to be sitting with one hand on the shifter and the other on the wheel.
                            You need more gauges

Comment

I have my Nitrous purge on my horn in my 90 GT. No issues.
                              Last edited by fordracer2; 02-06-2012, 07:35 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X