Anyone running Cometic head gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
    there's two kinds of each sealer from permatex.

Regular blue RTV (translucent blue) vs. Ultra blue (metallic blue in color)
    Regular orange RTV(translucent orange) vs. Ultra Copper (metallic copper)
    Regular black RTV (translucent black) vs. Ultra black (metallic black)

Ford diesel - grey in color, and made from materials not known to be found on planet earth.

The layers of the cometic I speak of sealing are only in the upper corners of the gaskets fwiw.
    I use the ultra black. But did find out it was the intake leaking. He did a smoke test and sure enough it came out the front and the back. He peeled off some of the rtv and it was badly pitted and had big air pockets in it. Chalked it up to a bad tube of RTV.

I had heard about the Cometics leaking before. I climbed all over it trying to make sure that was not the case a couple weeks ago. But , sometimes I miss stuff. So he double checked for me and said all looked good on the HG's.

Brooks, thanks for you input. It always helps.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
      I use the ultra black. But did find out it was the intake leaking. He did a smoke test and sure enough it came out the front and the back. He peeled off some of the rtv and it was badly pitted and had big air pockets in it. Chalked it up to a bad tube of RTV.

I had heard about the Cometics leaking before. I climbed all over it trying to make sure that was not the case a couple weeks ago. But , sometimes I miss stuff. So he double checked for me and said all looked good on the HG's.

Brooks, thanks for you input. It always helps.
      No problem Barry. Glad yall got it figured out.

I had a tube of that sealer called 'the right stuff' that, at the time, everyone swore by. That shit was worthless, but likely due to a bad can, like you describe.

Comment

No problem Barry. Glad yall got it figured out.

I had a tube of that sealer called 'the right stuff' that, at the time, everyone swore by. That shit was worthless, but likely due to a bad can, like you describe.
        I was talking to a guy the other day and he said permatex had some of their RTV in a can . He said it worked just like cheese whiz. LOL. Would make laying a bead a lot easier and faster. I have not seen it yet

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
          I was talking to a guy the other day and he said permatex had some of their RTV in a can . He said it worked just like cheese whiz. LOL. Would make laying a bead a lot easier and faster. I have not seen it yet
          Yeah, they all (the big manufacturers) do that. I've tried just about all of them and still keep going back to the ultra series.

The 'right stuff' in the cheez wiz can flat ass sucked.

Comment

I can agree with brooks, that shot sux. I like to use permatex ultra grey. Real similar to the ford stuff brooks mentioned, but not near as adhesive. It especially works great on diff covers.

Comment

http://www.all-spec.com/products/850...FWm-tgodJHIP3A

This is what he was talking about

Comment

Hand same problem, have to put little sealer on HG on top. Cured my problem,we are running the fel-pros but same basic set up.

You're saying the headgaskets are now cometics and the intake is leaking?

There's two possible scenarios -

One, it's not the intake, but the upper ends of the HG leaking the oil. Been there, done that. I usually pry the gasket apart and put sealer between the layers (very small amount).

Two, it's actually the intake itself leaking in the corners of the endrail. As common as you can get on a SBC. My take, that black RTV is junk and never had any luck with it. I'd be using the perma black, blue or copper. If you feel like welding your intake down use the ford diesel silicone.
                88 LX Coupe 444 Twin 88's
                Finally went down track!!

Comment

Working...
                X