Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New old stock tires - would you run them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old stock tires - would you run them?

I found a deal on some 315's for my 70 Mach 1 restomod. They are new, never mounted with stickers and all but have a DOT code of mid 04. No cracks or other signs of aging. Would you put these on your weekender , never-to-be-driven-in-rain car? I know Discount Tire won't mount them when they are this old whether they are new or not. Whats your experience?
    Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

I would run them. Think about all the people that buy used tires that a several years old and run them. I think as long as they look good and the price is right go for it.

Comment

I would...
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I would also.

Comment

i would run them and not have any worry...take them to a small tire shop to have them mounted..fuck discount tire

Comment

I had some new tires with an old date on my fox when I bought it. I could spin them in first with a stock AOD/converter! LOL! They didn't hook for shit. If you're just driving on them, I'd go for it. If you're expecting any kind of performance out of them, forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
              I had some new tires with an old date on my fox when I bought it. I could spin them in first with a stock AOD/converter! LOL! They didn't hook for shit. If you're just driving on them, I'd go for it. If you're expecting any kind of performance out of them, forget it.
              As Doug says, I wouldn't push them speed-wise or in corners, either. For a weekend cruiser, I don't see a problem.

Comment

if you don't want them. i might take them. getting them mounted is not an issue.

Comment

Good enough. They arent a steal but they are around $200 cheaper for the set of four than I can buy anywhere else. I think he has several. I am buying two 315's and two 245s. They are Nitto 555R's.
                  Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

wouldn't do it to save $200

they're 8yrs old

4yrs? maybe...
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
                      I found a deal on some 315's for my 70 Mach 1 restomod. They are new, never mounted with stickers and all but have a DOT code of mid 04. No cracks or other signs of aging. Would you put these on your weekender , never-to-be-driven-in-rain car? I know Discount Tire won't mount them when they are this old whether they are new or not. Whats your experience?
                      actually we can work on them (discount tire) we cant service tires more than 10 years old.....

Tesla Service Technician.

Comment

If you don't want them, I can use them. lol
                        04 GT
                        91 LX

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
                          Good enough. They arent a steal but they are around $200 cheaper for the set of four than I can buy anywhere else. I think he has several. I am buying two 315's and two 245s. They are Nitto 555R's.
                          I'll trade you straight up for my set of 6 month old (bought new) 315 Nitto 555 for those 315 Nitto 555Rs.

Comment

the tires on my 95 are coming up on 17 years old............i still drive it.
                            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

I've actually had problems with sidewall cracking on new 6 year old tires.

I would run 8 years old tires on anything I planned to break the speed limit in.

Comment

Working...
                              X