Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little delimma

I'll try to keep it short..

I have an 87 coupe in decent condition that I bought in highschool. I took the 5.0/AOD out and had Mario Ortega build me a somewhat best-of-the-best 347 with a 302 block. Slim built me a T5, and also did a new 8.8 with 03/04 cobra diff, 31 spline mosers, etc. the powertrain is awesome in my opinion. carb converted with an a1000 fuelpump, fuel pressure reg, nice head/cam/intake combo, etc. I had taken the car back from marios before everything was buttoned up and there are a few small details that I haven't been able to work out since going to school at Tech. It needs a water pump bolt extracted and replaced, the valve cover bolt holes should be tapped for bigger bolts because the valve covers have bigger holes and they get a tad leaky, and about a month or 2 ago, 2 freeze plugs were popped out. I believe the engine is fine, but i'll need to replace them. Everything else in the car is great and is also street legal with the exception of the exhaust (almost old enough to not need emissions testing anyways). It is a street/strip car with tons done to it.

Since being at school though, I have had little to no time/money to get it running right and I fear that leaving it out in the weather will just make it worthless before long. The engine/trans/rear end only have 20 miles on them! I have contemplated selling it and the parts that are in it would make it worth some decent coin but I dont want to get rid of it. If I could sell it, I def would but in its current state, people probably wouldn't offer what I would value it at unless they know what it is capable of. One of his cars with an almost identical powertrain went low 6's on spray and this car could do the same with suspension/subframes/etc.

I just don't know what to do

Have you posted wife/gf/so tits yet ? if not GTFO.

where is the car located, not specifically, generally ? I ask because maybe you could hire someone to get it running and straightened out.

However, it sounds like the block could possibly be cracked. Did the freeze plugs pop out last winter ? You're gonna spend some coin to get it right though. So either be prepared or sell it off and cash out.

Also, making the valve cover bolt holes bigger made me LOL.
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Just FYI, I have never seen a stock block that pops the freeze plugs in winter and didn't crack the block, usually right across the top of the deck on both sides. Now, if the freeze plugs fell out because of corrosion you should be ok.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

lol it is in mesquite. I wouldn't mind somebody taking it off my hands for cash/trade or just picking it up to get it running right as a project but I don't have tons of money. Ideally, I would like to get it back to marios so he could get everything done correctly as it was supposed to be done.

I posted back when we were farting around in dfwstangs.. I didn't notice any water in the oil or oil in the water as it spilled so I dont think the block is split yet but i still have to look further into it. yeah aluminum heads tend to be a little softer so somebody cranking down on the factory bolts is a little unnessecary and a few were stripped. I tapped a few to get a bigger bolt in them but now I would like to just do them all that way. the valve cover holes themselves are bigger so it would make sense to use a bigger bolt entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          Just FYI, I have never seen a stock block that pops the freeze plugs in winter and didn't crack the block, usually right across the top of the deck on both sides. Now, if the freeze plugs fell out because of corrosion you should be ok.
          this could be the case, I am unsure because I didn't get much of a chance to look into it.

Comment

Working...
          X