3.8 burning oil and pcv systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 burning oil and pcv systems

My wife has a 2000 v6 and it burns oil like crazy and pings(not all the time but most)

I found this on the mustang forums and was wondering if anyone on here could be a little bit more specific for me. Inline filter for pcv? new valve cover?

Thanks to those who helped me with my problem. It seems as though Ford had a poor design in the baffling system of their PCV system in the drivers side valve cover of the 99-00 Mustang and Windstar. My car was pinging(from the excess oil consumption and subsequent carbon) and burning oil like crazy. The fix was either a new valve cover or put an inline filter in the PCV hose. So being THRIFTY I put the filter inline. I took it for a drive for only 6 miles and you should have seen the amount of oil in the filter in that short amount of time! As described to me it would catch in the filter and then drain back in the valve cover. This explains the amount of carbon buildup and the pinging that ensued. Thanks again to all the people who take the time to research and then post their findings.
    Originally posted by Yale
    I want to give her a colonoscopy with my tongue.

Originally posted by SSsierra90 View Post
    My wife has a 2000 v6 and it burns oil like crazy and pings(not all the time but most)

I found this on the mustang forums and was wondering if anyone on here could be a little bit more specific for me. Inline filter for pcv? new valve cover?

Thanks to those who helped me with my problem. It seems as though Ford had a poor design in the baffling system of their PCV system in the drivers side valve cover of the 99-00 Mustang and Windstar. My car was pinging(from the excess oil consumption and subsequent carbon) and burning oil like crazy. The fix was either a new valve cover or put an inline filter in the PCV hose. So being THRIFTY I put the filter inline. I took it for a drive for only 6 miles and you should have seen the amount of oil in the filter in that short amount of time! As described to me it would catch in the filter and then drain back in the valve cover. This explains the amount of carbon buildup and the pinging that ensued. Thanks again to all the people who take the time to research and then post their findings.
    Glad the in-line filter worked. I use a catch can on my car to avoid future oil fouling issues.

Would a valve cover from a '01-'04 have also solved the problem, assuming the baffle problem was corrected by then?

Comment

I should have quoted the lower paragraph. That is the info I found on the mustang forum. Wondering if anyone has done this and if they could give me some info
      Originally posted by Yale
      I want to give her a colonoscopy with my tongue.

Comment

I would first replace the (passenger side?) valve cover with one from an '01-'04 3.8L model then.

Comment

Working...
        X