wideband guages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
    Right, that's what I'm saying - why on earth would you do that?

If you do - you will find yourself constantly flipping your eyes back and forth expecting to see that light come on. Even a slight missfire (that pumps raw oxygen out the exhaust) will light up that light. The first 20 passes, you'll chase your tail wondering why that light is flickering - when there's nothing wrong with it.

Once you get used to your car - you'll be surprised what you can recall reading a guage going down the track (assuming it's within reasonable eyesight). Now, obviously that doesn't apply to a TFD, or a 4 second 10.5 outlaw car.. but you get the idea.

Not indicating this will change your stance, but it's not one light, it's a spectrum of lights that change color as it makes it's way through the range.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
      Not indicating this will change your stance, but it's not one light, it's a spectrum of lights that change color as it makes it's way through the range.
      You're missing what Im saying..

As your car goes down the track, a very slight misfire will pump one, a few, or a hundred pulses of raw oxygen out the downpipe - causing your lights to flicker like a space ship. Every car does it, has done it, or will do it at some point in time. You'll find yourself letting off for no apparent reason.. (when your ears are telling you it 'sounds fine')

If you set that light far enough in advance, you'll trigger the myriad of lights when it's perfectly tolerable running conditions in order for your eyes to see it and your body to react to it fast enough.

Wait till you get some good datalogs, you'll see that wideband go to 20:1 for no reason. Next pass it's gone and then you're likely to not see it for 20 passes...

..but we're chasing rabbits, and taking this topic way off base. All I'm saying is, rely on your datalogs. If something is amiss, It's likely to be WAY too fast for you to react, no matter how many bells, buzzers, and flashing lights you have.

Comment

Well that's even easier! I was thinking it was dangerous or dumb doing it the way I am, no wide band gauge, just log log log and review after the run. If the gauge is questionably readable anyway I'll just keep relying on my logs. Ive even found the boost gauge is tough to monitor, much easier to just check the log afterwards and you can see exactly what went on.

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
        You're missing what Im saying..

As your car goes down the track, a very slight misfire will pump one, a few, or a hundred pulses of raw oxygen out the downpipe - causing your lights to flicker like a space ship. Every car does it, has done it, or will do it at some point in time. You'll find yourself letting off for no apparent reason.. (when your ears are telling you it 'sounds fine')

If you set that light far enough in advance, you'll trigger the myriad of lights when it's perfectly tolerable running conditions in order for your eyes to see it and your body to react to it fast enough.

Wait till you get some good datalogs, you'll see that wideband go to 20:1 for no reason. Next pass it's gone and then you're likely to not see it for 20 passes...

..but we're chasing rabbits, and taking this topic way off base. All I'm saying is, rely on your datalogs. If something is amiss, It's likely to be WAY too fast for you to react, no matter how many bells, buzzers, and flashing lights you have.

Comment

I've got an LC-1 with the DB-1 gauge. I also datalog using Innovate's Logworks software.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
            I've got an LC-1 with the DB-1 gauge. I also datalog using Innovate's Logworks software.
            Thankfully my tuning platform has a wideband input so I can go frame by frame and see exactly what the afr was a specific rpm, map, tps, etc and it will also create histograms that plots the afr error on a ve table (map vs rpm) so you can just multiply the ve table by the error. It's real easy, but worrisome having no real time notification.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              Thankfully my tuning platform has a wideband input so I can go frame by frame and see exactly what the afr was a specific rpm, map, tps, etc and it will also create histograms that plots the afr error on a ve table (map vs rpm) so you can just multiply the ve table by the error. It's real easy, but worrisome having no real time notification.
              The xd-16 has a digital read and also the led scroll around the perimeter. I monitor the digital number more than the dancing led's.

Comment

Innovate LC-1 XD-16... Works perfect and you can data log with it.
                03 Dark Shadow Grey Mach1
                "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Comment

we datalog the little sprint cars with injected methanol bike engines with a DL-32 and LC-1
                  pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

i always had good luck with the aem uego with built in controller.

Comment

LC-1 with a MTX-L gauge, works great but my car is stock.

sigpic
                      1987 Mustang LX Coupe, yes it's slow
                      1985 Mustang LX Coupe, not slow

Comment

Working...
                      X