Start then trouble starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start then trouble starting

I need some help guys not sure exactly where to start. I have an 88 5.0 5speed. My question is my car starts up fine but if for whatever reason I stall it it won't start again. The car will crank but keeps cranking and no start. I just noticed yesterday that when it stalls if I prime the pump about 4 times it starts right up like no problem. Is my pump weak or ignition switch prob? Anybody ever have this problem? The car is new to me I bought it like this. Only mods are cobra intake maf and 24lbs injectors. Has a chip with dial for selection but no idea what number is for what.

Do you hear your fuel pump coming on every time you prime it? Check your fuel pressure to see if it's low.

Comment

Yeah I can hear it but for a little while I couldn't hear the pump at all I had to keep playing with the keys. How can I check the pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
        Do you hear your fuel pump coming on every time you prime it? Check your fuel pressure to see if it's low.
        +1

Fuel problem, filter, pump. If you suspect a weak pump, do a simple voltage test.

Originally posted by Deeznuts88 View Post
        Yeah I can hear it but for a little while I couldn't hear the pump at all I had to keep playing with the keys. How can I check the pressure?
        Schrader valve on the line....pressure guage.....cycle key.

Last edited by Baba Ganoush; 01-21-2012, 02:16 PM.

Comment

It's possible you have a bad ignition switch. There is a chance it's just your fuel pump relay, though.

Comment

10-4 I'll check the pressure. And for the voltage test, how do you perform that? I changed the filter not so long ago. Plugs are white is that lean? Like not enough fuel?

Comment

Koeo 35-45 psi on the pump. running 30-40 psi

Comment

My car has no schrader valve just a brass cap. Any ideas where to find one? Autozone doesn't have any, they didn't know what I was talking about

Comment

Ok the fuel pressure is at 41 koeo once started it stays from 39 to 41. I stall it on purpose and the pressure remains at 40 but won't start just cranks but no start. I'll hold the pedal down and it seems to start right with the pedal pushed.

Comment

Ok the fuel pressure is at 41 koeo once started it stays from 39 to 41. I stall it on purpose and the pressure remains at 40 but won't start just cranks but no start. I'll hold the pedal down and it seems to start right with the pedal pushed.
                    Might try testing/replacing the TPS (throttle position sensor). You're getting the fuel there, good. Now the problem is most likely a sensor for the computer malfunctioning.

The absolute best source of testing/tuning your engine is on this site. Every test/code/solution is here. It's simple, it just takes a process of elimination. Often just cleaning out these components fixes them, before you go throwing new parts at it and chasing the same problem.

Joel's 5.0 form is excellent.

Comment

Wow that sight has a lot of info specially
                      For no start efi systems. Turns out my tps needed adjusting was reading .80 on green wire and now .99. Starts up no problem after stalling, I wondered why when I hit the gas it seemed to take like 2 seconds before it picked up power, now it seemed to respond way better. Thanks guys

Comment

TPS is vital in correct fuel mixture at all points of the throttle, including start up.

Yes that site is totally kick ass. 95 percent of the time you can fix an issue with a little problem solving and less trips to the parts store, thanks to a resource like that site.

Comment

Working...
                        X