remote turbo oil system build/advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote turbo oil system build/advice.

Almost done compiling parts for my build. It will be my first remote build, but not my first turbo.

Have
    76mm (not really 76mm) mp ptrim.
    prc springs/retainers
    6ft 3.5" tube
    12ft 2.5"
    lots of 2.5 tbolts and silicone
    big transcooler
    detroit true trac diff
    2 5/8s autometer cobalt boost and oil/ 3 pillar pod.
    .5psi check valve
    aem WB
    walbro 255s

Need
    china BOV and waste gate
    big injectors for e85 (not sure what size, maybe 75lb)
    HP tuners tune
    MAP sensor
    3800 stall
    diff install kit/wheel bearings/seals
    china cooler

I want to order my scavenge pump today, but I'm unsure on the brand.

I've been looking at turbowerx and rbracing. I just need something with a high continuous temp rating. I got a .5psi check valve to stop oil bleed to the turbo when the pump is off. I was thinking of doing a dedicated oil system for the turbo or some sort of oil surge type tank.

I plan on routing it back to the oil fill for ease like this.

Anyone have any advice?

I just need to get a new welder and some misc. crap.
    I expect to be in the $3600 range after the build, including tuning.

Oh, this is the truck if you haven't seen it and the goal is 500+rwhp untouched long block.

This is the build I'm copying BTW.

Here's where I'm getting oiling info.
    Last edited by VaderTT; 01-16-2012, 11:13 AM.
    Ded

there's a place in kennedale that sells trailblazer converters with 3400 stall for 150 with exchange 250 without.

Comment

Yeah, I saw people were using the inline 6 converters and having ok luck. I just don't want to do anything twice. I was looking at a circle d, ptc or chance. Cheaper the better though, as I'm trying to stick as close to budget as possible.
      Ded

Comment

Oooohh and I'm going to need help with a tuner.
        Ded

Comment

Here's what it'll look like under the bed.

Ded

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt View Post
            Oooohh and I'm going to need help with a tuner.
            sam88gta

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              sam88gta
              Yeah, I pm'd him not too long ago and he never replied.
              Ded

Comment

I just PM'd you Sam's cell number he is the one to use for sure

I wouldn't personally do the oil return that way... I tapped my oil pan on the pass. side and have the return going in there... no use in spending all that time and money in doing this then having it look half ass like that (just my opinion of course )

for the BOV and wastegate I'd suggest Vyron VSRacing.net he is a local guy

I got my map sensor at Frank Parra in Irving (now Q chevy) it was $58 and part number 25036751 and I think its from a SC colbalt
                I believe (I got map and air temp at the same time I think air temp was 12615136) I know you wont need air temp but this way you have the number just incase I have the wrong number for each part)
                Last edited by 2165 Turbo Rail; 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM.
                1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

awesome, thanks!
                  Ded

Comment

Yeah I would either tap the pan or front timing cover for return.

I always wondered why you dont see more dedicated oiling systems for rear mounts. Small fuel cell as a oil tank, pump and filter setup. Maybe a oil cooler in line. Maybe its just overly complicated but I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                      I just PM'd you Sam's cell number he is the one to use for sure

I wouldn't personally do the oil return that way... I tapped my oil pan on the pass. side and have the return going in there... no use in spending all that time and money in doing this then having it look half ass like that (just my opinion of course )

for the BOV and waste gate I'd suggest Vyron VSRacing.net he is a local guy

I got my map sensor at Frank Parra in Irving (now Q chevy) it was $58 and part number 25036751 and I think its from a SC colbalt
                      I believe (I got map and air temp at the same time I think air temp was 12615136) I know you wont need air temp but this way you have the number just incase I have the wrong number for each part)

Oh yeah, I've known V for as long as he's been on ttf.com/turbomustangs.

I know Dville had a 1bar or 1.5bar map FS, but I forgot about it. Still need!

And I'll call Sam next month when it's done.........hopefully.

-Thanks!!!

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                      Yeah I would either tap the pan or front timing cover for return.

I always wondered why you don't see more dedicated oiling systems for rear mounts. Small fuel cell as a oil tank, pump and filter setup. Maybe a oil cooler in line. Maybe it's just overly complicated but I dunno.
                      Yeah, it would look better, but I'm looking for cheap/functional and the few builds I've seen that took this route, haven't had any issues.

I need to find a diagram showing where to tap the cover. If it would work better, the added cost would be minimal as I already have a box of used fittings. I thought the dedicated oiling system would be awesome, but I think it may just be too complicated.

Also, I've seen a lot of thread stating that, when using a scavenge pump, you should vent the feed to the pump, from the turbo. That way it doesn't put the chra under vacuum.

IDK if that's a fact, but it would be easy if it's necessary. Anyone know?

Also, does anyone know somebody that could weld a flange and some test pipes (to remove cats) on the spare exhaust I have? That way I don't have to spend $$$ on a good welder.
                      I don't want to get some harbor freight crap.
                      Last edited by VaderTT; 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM.
                      Ded

Comment

I was just thinking out loud about the remote oiling setup. Your right on track with your thinking. For feed tap into the motor right above the filter and like we said earlier either tap into the pan or the timing cover. On the cover its kinda tight. I just tried finding a pic of the drain on my old setup but I dont have one. It was hard to find a spot that would clear the belt and balancer. I would go with the pan for ease. I went with timing cover because it just worked better in my case.

Comment

I think it cost me $10 to have the oil return to my pan... I used a -10 line and a fitting from home depot (what every the fittings are that are the same as AN fittings... I forget what they are called though)

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                            I was just thinking out loud about the remote oiling setup. Your right on track with your thinking. For feed tap into the motor right above the filter and like we said earlier either tap into the pan or the timing cover. On the cover its kinda tight. I just tried finding a pic of the drain on my old setup but I dont have one. It was hard to find a spot that would clear the belt and balancer. I would go with the pan for ease. I went with timing cover because it just worked better in my case.
                            I'll try to find a pic of my oil return... its just infront of the oil level sensor I remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                              I think it cost me $10 to have the oil return to my pan... I used a -10 line and a fitting from home depot (what every the fittings are that are the same as AN fittings... I forget what they are called though)
                              NPT thread? I think it's a bit different. If so, you can get those for cheap!! I think the one in my pic is npt. If not, could you find out what they are called?
                              Ded

Comment

Working...
                              X