Truck Stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Stalling

Some of you may remember a post from a year or two ago about my s-10.

It is a 2003, 2.2L with a 5 speed. Last spring, I finally got the misfire fixed. I was told by one shop that I had a burned valve. I had the head replaced, figured that would be as expensive, and faster, than having the head pulled and the valve taken care of. The Mechanic put it all back together only to still have a misfire. Turns out, it was a bad fuel injector. (A different mechanic did the repair work) After I got the truck back, it ran pretty good. I finally got a couple of tanks of fuel where I got the normal 350-400 miles to the tank. After the first few tanks of gas, It started stalling out on me. I would go about 200 miles and have trouble with it stalling, sometimes under regular driving conditions just driving down the road.

A little history. I had to have a fuel pump/sending unit put in at about 90K in jan 2007 IIRC. Got about 8 months worth of good performance out of it, then it started missing. Took me forever to get it fixed and tracked down, shop after shop couldn't find it. I FINALLY found a shop that tracked the miss down to a bad spot in the injector harness. The next time it gave me trouble was when the fuel injector started giving me an issue. The only other problems I've had were that now the fuel gauge doesn't work (could be related to my current issue), and the mechanical fan decided to separate from its shaft and put a hole in my radiator. One more "modification" with all of the misfire issues and it dumping fuel into the cylinders, I replaced the Catalytic converter, only to have it go bad a year - year and a half later. It was replaced with a straight pipe.

Back to the current issue. It seems like it might be getting progressively worse. I get about 200 miles out of a tank of gas. When I fill up, it only holds 9-10 gallons of gas. Fuel mileage calculates to 20.1-20.5 which is normal. Though on every tank, when it nears 200 miles, I have the issue with it stalling out/running out of gas. I have to "prime" the fuel pump several times to build the fuel pressure back up and it will crank. On this last tank, it stalled out with about 120 miles on the tank. It took me forever to get it to crank, I thought I was going to have to have it towed home. It has also started, bogging below idle and backfiring when I come to the first stop sign and press the clutch in after I crank it up and leave the house in the morning or in the evening after work.

If you aren't familiar with the 2.2L fuel system. It is a flex fuel system. With a send and return line. The fuel filter (Which was replaced last august or so) has an internal FPR. I am not sure if it has an additional FPR or not.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

A quick summary if the OP doesn't read well.

Truck with a replacement fuel pump/sending unit, stalls after ~200 miles on a tank of gas. Fuel mileage calculates to a normal value. Its almost like it "runs out of gas" pre-maturely. The lines can be primed by cycling the key and the truck will crank. Also when it is cold, when I come to the first stop sign, it almost dies and has started "backfiring"
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
    X