? about timing belt change....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
    about the only way I would think the motor mounts could be the cause of a noise and vibration so bad you don't want to drive it, would be if one of the mounts to the left or right side broke and allowed the engine or trans to drop down on one side. This could cause the cv shaft angle to be excessive. I doubt that is your problem, since this has only begun since the timing belt job I'd assume there was a timing issue with the balance shaft or timing belt. The engine timing belt being off would most likely cause hard starting, stalling, something similar to a misfire and most likely a check engine light as stated. As JimD also put, it is an interference engine meaning that if the timing belt is too far off or breaks than pistons to valve interference will most likely happen. Last customer that had a belt break on a galant bent all the exhaust valves.
    But it happens in park as well as drive. Definitely balancer issues.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
      Of course the mechanic is gonna blame something else rather than his work. Have never met an honest mechanic.
      Allow me to introduce myself, Hi i'm David. I've had to man up and tell a customer when something I did wasn't correct. As crazy as it sounds there are the coincidences where you work on a car and something else breaks. Doesn't mean it's the mechanics fault.

That being said I'm not defending the mechanic on this one. If it was my shop that did the work I'd recommend the customer bring it back in so that I could check it out. I also test drive my vehicles and If I'd just done the service on that car and it had a bad vibration that wasn't there prior I would have looked to see if what I did was a problem before releasing it.

I take pride in myself and the shop I'm at in doing quality work, doesn't mean that we don't have a problem every now and then. It's how you handle it that makes the difference. I'm sorry that you've never met a honest mechanic.

Comment

But it happens in park as well as drive. Definitely balancer issues.
        The balancer should be on a keyway, the same keyway that holds the crankshaft gear in place. For the balancer to be off, other than if it slipped the ring, the key would have to be broken or missing. Of course if it's missing the car would most like not run as the belt wouldn't turn, I doubt it broke since I've never seen one break in that manner, and I don't think it would put the motor that out of balance if the ring slipped. They aren't balanced like a small block ford or chevy, where they have such a large amount of offset weight.

Comment

It's how you handle it (customer issues) that makes the difference.
          Bingo. When the mechanic reflexively blames the customer or takes a defensive stance when something goes awry, then said mechanic should not be trusted. With all this said, how many dishonest mechanics would come on here and admit it? Anybody can be a good mechanic if you never have a complaint or if you have a few happy customers willing to go to bat for you. I'm not saying you are one way or another...I am sure you do a good job and take care of your customers.

Comment

The balancer should be on a keyway, the same keyway that holds the crankshaft gear in place. For the balancer to be off, other than if it slipped the ring, the key would have to be broken or missing. Of course if it's missing the car would most like not run as the belt wouldn't turn, I doubt it broke since I've never seen one break in that manner, and I don't think it would put the motor that out of balance if the ring slipped. They aren't balanced like a small block ford or chevy, where they have such a large amount of offset weight.
            So a misaligned CV would cause vibration in park?

Comment

So a misaligned CV would cause vibration in park?
              No, forgot that piece of info when I typed that reply, I've been following along as the posts went. I don't think the motor mounts are causing the problem period, most likely as stated by a couple others it's a balance shaft timing issue. But as with my customers it's hard to diagnose the problem over the phone or in this case the computer. I've talked with customers about a problem only to find something completely different when I finally saw the car.

On a side not, I've had my fair share of unhappy customers, some my fault and some just the way it worked out, long story short I try to make the customer happy. I have however learned after doing this a number of years that you can't always make everyone happy. I do try to look at the situation from both sides of the fence, so as to try and understand where they are coming from.

There are those few cases where you just can't make a person happy and in that one I try as best I can and cut my losses.

Comment

Once again.... Balance shaft... End of story.

Comment

No, forgot that piece of info when I typed that reply, I've been following along as the posts went. I don't think the motor mounts are causing the problem period, most likely as stated by a couple others it's a balance shaft timing issue. But as with my customers it's hard to diagnose the problem over the phone or in this case the computer. I've talked with customers about a problem only to find something completely different when I finally saw the car.

On a side not, I've had my fair share of unhappy customers, some my fault and some just the way it worked out, long story short I try to make the customer happy. I have however learned after doing this a number of years that you can't always make everyone happy. I do try to look at the situation from both sides of the fence, so as to try and understand where they are coming from.

There are those few cases where you just can't make a person happy and in that one I try as best I can and cut my losses.
                  Good business model.

Comment

From reading here, I think I'm gonna replace the mounts 1st, which there are 4 of them. If I still have the issues, gonna go back up there Monday or Tuesday. I still don't think it's mounts,but gonna change them anyway. The vibration/noise is coming from passanger side of engine. He kind of changed his tunes when I mentioned the harmonic balancer and the shaft,but went back to the mounts. We'll see after this weekend.

Comment

As recommended by several others, I wouldn't drive anymore than you have to until this is resolved. There is always the potential that continuing to drive it could result in costly damage. Again all this being said since we can't see/hear any of your issues. and as davbrucas reminded me, if your problem happens in park or neutral more than likely it's not a motor mount issue. If it's related to the engine mount on the passenger side(should be the one supporting the belt drive side of the motor to the fenderwell) then you could use a floor jack with a block of wood under the oil pan to lift/support the motor some with it running. If you notice a substantial decrease in noise and vibration this could be part of your problem.

Comment

We havent even gotten to the point where maybe they miss timed it initially and bent a valve or four...

Comment

We havent even gotten to the point where maybe they miss timed it initially and bent a valve or four...

I've thought about this, it would result in a catalyst damaging misfire which should be picked up by the pcm, this would more than likely result in a check engine light on constant or flashing.

I would hope the shop would have better quality control than to let it out the door if this were the case.

Comment

I am going to park it till I can get to mounts this weekend. I will lift it some to see if vibration decreases. Going to replace them anyways and go from there. I will post up after i replace mounts. Typing on phone sucks. Lol
                            Thanks everyone

Comment

Damn. Mounts aren't cheap. $300 with tax

Comment

you might look on rockauto.com, their prices are great, but don't think you'll be able to have them by the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X