DIY: Transmission rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: Transmission rebuild?

I have 2 synchros that are going out, and I figure if I'm going to go through the trouble of pulling the tranny to swap them, might as well rebuild it. Or so I think atleast.

Was quoted $650 to just do the syncros and $1150 to rebuild.

How hard is it to do this stuff myself?? Walkthrough anywhere?

87GT btw

Comment

It's cake to do it yourself. Just buy the rebuild kit and learn something.

While you have it apart, go ahead and heli coil every bolt that holds the case together and the input shaft.

Comment

I did mine myself with no experience (sp?). Was not to bad took about 2 hours once I got the tranny out. One thing I would recomend, I don't know if I lost the rear synchro or the kit didn't come with it but I would get one and put that in while your at it.

Comment

I've taken all of mine to Slim. He's rebuilt 3 transmissions for me on 3 different Mustangs. Two T5's and a T45. Best guy around for quality rebuilds at a great price, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
            I've taken all of mine to Slim. He's rebuilt 3 transmissions for me on 3 different Mustangs. Two T5's and a T45. Best guy around for quality rebuilds at a great price, IMO.

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/member.php?u=628
            Yeah have Noah hook you up man....
            07 GT500
            05 SRT10
            88 turbocoupe T-bird
            93 Cobra
            86 coupe
            Ducati 848

Comment

Oh and yeah I got my kit from Slim too.

Comment

Not that hard. I did the M5R2 RKE in my T-bird earlier in the year and it was the first time I rebuilt a transmission. I took two pipes and slid the gears and pieces on exactly as I took them off, then reversed it when putting it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                  It's cake to do it yourself. Just buy the rebuild kit and learn something.

While you have it apart, go ahead and heli coil every bolt that holds the case together and the input shaft.
                  Hmm, I have a T5 sitting in the garage that needs a rebuild. Is it possible to replace stock replacement part with World Class T5 part?
                  --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Those quotes seem kinda high.
                    04 GT
                    91 LX

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                      Hmm, I have a T5 sitting in the garage that needs a rebuild. Is it possible to replace stock replacement part with World Class T5 part?
                      I can't recall. PM Slim, as he knows all there is to know about t5's. I got my kit from him several years ago.

Comment

T5's aren't that difficult to tear down and reassemble but neither is an 8.8 Ford differential. The difficulty lies in knowing how to fix it when it doesn't work after being reassembled incorrectly or know if the part is reusable or not.

Comment

I'd say do it yourself, but I'm a bit biased...

I agree with thesource, and the correct tools are 50% of the solution...

Comment

Working...
                          X