2007 Tahoe rear end failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Tahoe rear end failure

Anyone had the rear end in a newer model GM crap out?

80K miles, 2007 LT w/ 5.3

My wife's Tahoe has been making a whining noise recently, and it's been on my list to address. Sounded like the pinon nut had somehow backed off a bit, and the lash had grown.

Tonight, it starts doing something different. The driver's side brake starts squeeling, there's some additional clicking, and the driver's side wheel is slightly further out- the axle is sliding out, and the brakes are holding the thing together, it would seem.

Anyone have a recommendation of who I can take it to in Austin? Can anyone spitball what might be happening? I know a little about rear ends.

Jay Presley, of Birdco Race Cars, was the first person my buddy recommended, and we have a good rapport- he welded the cage up in my Bronco recently.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Isnt there a 100k powertrain warranty on it?

Comment

Wouldn't that be a coup. Shit, that hadn't even occurred to me. Guess I'll swing by the dealer & check that out. Thanks for the tip
      Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
        Wouldn't that be a coup. Shit, that hadn't even occurred to me. Guess I'll swing by the dealer & check that out. Thanks for the tip
        YUUUUUUUPPPPPP. My dads 07 sub went out right at 80k. GM fixed undedr 100k warr

Comment

my 08 Z71 just went out at 93000 miles and they fixed it under warrenty along with the cam and lifters on a 5.3

Comment

I had it towed to the dealer this morning. Before they towed it in, they wanted to know the VIN. They say the truck was bought in October of 2006, and the 5 year limit expired in October 2011. They did say that they could maybe do a "Good Will" program (I think that's what she called it), since it had only been a few months since it expired.

In her overview explanation of the program, she said that people paid anywhere from $100, $200, up to 1/2 of the cost to repair.

I thanked her, assured her that the truck was not abused, and to let me know what they determined.

Comment

My 08 Sierra rear end went out at 150k.... But I never serviced it when I should have. A friend of a friend that's a GM mechanic said they've done a handful of them under warranty. He also said that the carrier moving around eats up the housing. I replaced the whole unit because I was told that rebuilding the original wasn't a viable option. A used assembly was ~$1800(with the right gears. locker and the brake sensors).

In mine, the carrier was rocking back and forth(laterally). I could turn right and silence it or turn left and make it louder. I haven't taken the time to see about rebuilding it yet.

Comment

I had it towed to the dealer this morning. Before they towed it in, they wanted to know the VIN. They say the truck was bought in October of 2006, and the 5 year limit expired in October 2011. They did say that they could maybe do a "Good Will" program (I think that's what she called it), since it had only been a few months since it expired.

In her overview explanation of the program, she said that people paid anywhere from $100, $200, up to 1/2 of the cost to repair.

I thanked her, assured her that the truck was not abused, and to let me know what they determined.

I've had hit or miss luck with the good will. My dodge had 99k miles when the turbo went out. It was less than a month out of warranty. They told me they should be able to good will it for $100 to a max half of parts. I picked it up and they charged me half of parts and labor. I was floored as I had brought it in several months earlier for turbo noise, they said nothing was wrong.

Comment

Got a call last night, says she's positive that they'll just want me to pay a $200 "deductible", and they'll cover the rest. She said it was pretty chewed up.

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                  In mine, the carrier was rocking back and forth(laterally). I could turn right and silence it or turn left and make it louder. I haven't taken the time to see about rebuilding it yet.
                  Sounds like what mine was doing.

Comment

Got a call last night, says she's positive that they'll just want me to pay a $200 "deductible", and they'll cover the rest. She said it was pretty chewed up.

Sounds like what mine was doing.
                    I would write that check with a quickness. It may not be "free", but that's only about 2 hours worth of billed labor at any dealership.

Comment

Considering that I'm technically out of warranty, I couldn't be happier about this offer.

Comment

They reduced the deductible to $100, want me to pay for the $65 tow, and they're saying there's 2mm left on the rear pads... $150 for the brake job.

I'm gonna let them do it. Seems only fair. Good Wagner pads would cost me $75, turning the rotors would be $20, and my time fucking with it would depend on how fast the rotors could be turned, etc. Easily worth $50.

Comment

They reduced the deductible to $100, want me to pay for the $65 tow, and they're saying there's 2mm left on the rear pads... $150 for the brake job.

I'm gonna let them do it. Seems only fair. Good Wagner pads would cost me $75, turning the rotors would be $20, and my time fucking with it would depend on how fast the rotors could be turned, etc. Easily worth $50.
                          More than fair, and fewer things to have to worry about later. Good deal, especially in the long run.

Comment

Man , you couldn't ask for a better start of the year. Saved some coin.

2003 f250
                            1990 mustang gt stock 68k miles
                            1990 mustang gt 347 t56
                            1994 peterbilt 377 dump truck 450hp cat
                            1997 freightliner 500hp detriot[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                            X