fuel tank drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank drain

I have a 94 bronco and I need to drain the fuel tank. Can I just hook a hose up to the shrader valve one the fuel rail and use the fuel pump?

That would probably be kinda hard on the pump. Since they rely on the fuel they are submerged in to keep them cool, once you get it down low it might overheat the pump and cause it to prematurely go out.

Comment

No harder than running out of gas .
      It will go faster if you disconnect the fuel filter and jumper the fuel pump to run it out to a jug under the truck
      The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

I wouldn't let it run dry just enough so I can drop the tank. It's a 32 gallon tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
          No harder than running out of gas .
          It will go faster if you disconnect the fuel filter and jumper the fuel pump to run it out to a jug under the truck
          Ok. Can I just turn the key to on to run the pump?

Comment

Comment

Lol I don't want to blow the truck up! Fuel and sparks scares the shit out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                Lol I don't want to blow the truck up! Fuel and sparks scares the shit out of me.
                What a pussy.
                Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Just disconnect the line from the fuel filter, and sit there and turn the key to the on position over and over until all the gas is out. Then you won't risk running it too long without the fuel to cool it, cause you'll know when to stop as soon as you stop hearing the splash of the fuel into whatever container you use to catch it in. Drained a 1/3 of a tank out of my mustang this way with no problems.

Comment

a piece of water hose and start blowing

Comment

If it has a return type system it would be best not to use the fuel pump to pump fuel out since the purpose of return is to cool the fuel pump. You can siphon the fuel out of the filler neck on the tank with an electric transfer pump or hand pump.

Comment

Why don't you just take the filler neck loose and use a siphon pump to get it out. I do that sometimes at work if tank is really full.

Comment

I just used the fuel pump by installing a jumper in the fuel pump relay socket. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                          X