No announcement yet.

Porting questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That combo would yield about 275 to the tires untuned. Maybe less because of the performer intake. Why not step up to a cam with a lot more duration, run a RPM II or Sytemax intake with a 75mm tb and a90mm MAF meter. Throw some 1 3/4 Longtubes on it and it would make 300+ to the tires.3

Something like 226-232 on the intake and 235-240 on the exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
      That combo would yield about 275 to the tires untuned. Maybe less because of the performer intake. Why not step up to a cam with a lot more duration, run a RPM II or Sytemax intake with a 75mm tb and a90mm MAF meter. Throw some 1 3/4 Longtubes on it and it would make 300+ to the tires.3

I've read builds online people using untouched gt40p, Anderson b25, untouched cobra intake and longtubes, untuned making 297rwhp 324rwtrq.

Pretty impressive.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

it will make more than 275. (my untouched gt40s and e303 put 267rw) these brodix heads are more than just a 275rw producers.
          systemax is what i would have put on it.
          70mm tb is all that is needed.
          76mm pro m maf is ideal.
          1 5/8 longtubes will work just fine.
          the cam is a 218/228 at .544" lift with 1.7rr at 112 lsa. this cam is plenty for a 1.9/1.6 valve headed 306.
          1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

And I've heard of guys with the same combo making only 245rwhp so what's the point? Take away the top and bottom 10% and I think you will find that most combos like that make 255-275 rwhp. The duration on that cam is really a hp limiting factor. RPM or cubes make more hp. A 302 thet has a cam designed to peak at 5500 or less along with an intake that has similar flow characteristics can only do so much. Now spin that thing to 6250 with some heads milled down to 55cc to bump that compression, and the hp will be there. Otherwise you just have a very mild combo that looks like every other entry level combo on the planet. Throw some AFR 185, TW 190's, Vic Jr's, with a ported RPMII or a Vic EFI intake, and a custom cam with lower lift, more duration, and proper valve timing events to thwart PTV clearance issues. I've done what you are about to do and it was a waste of time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxBodyNick View Post
              it will make more than 275.
              systemax is what i would have put on it. I agree 110%70mm tb is all that is needed. Why not a 75mm?76mm pro m maf is ideal. FMS 90mm is way cheaper and would force him to get a good tune.1 5/8 longtubes will work just fine. Fine but not ideal, why not 1 3/4? They don't cost more.the cam is a 218/228 at .544" lift with 1.7rr at 112 lsa. this cam is plenty for a 1.9/1.6 valve headed 306.
              I run those valves and had a Lunati 151554 with similar specs. Now my cam is 238 duration and pulls a ton harder! Its my daily and idles just as well.

Comment

these heads do allow growth and flow similar to afr 165s. he is not touching the pistons so he will not be milling these heads with that cam. they are a 60cc head. he should be fine. I personally talked to AFM about this cam working well with TW, AFR 165, and Brodix head builds. I was going to put the N-41 in with mine (110, 222/232).

you dont even know how much he is investing into this build so how can you say its a waste of money?? =)

Comment

I run those valves and had a Lunati 151554 with similar specs. Now my cam is 238 duration and pulls a ton harder! Its my daily and idles just as well.
                  you also had different pistons correct?? and with that cam Im sure you pull well above 6k?? im sure you know bigger is not always better. Especially with a street driven stock bore 302. I doubt he will want to mess with that until he gets a bottom end or a stronger transmission that is a sure thing to hold that high.

baby steps for him.

TB. i do believe but dont quote me that the opening is going to be 70mm and the accufab 70mm tb flows plenty
                  MAF. he will be getting a tune no matter what. 90mm is quite large for that N/A HCI combo
                  Longtubes. because he already got a set of ceramic 1 5/8 for a great price

Comment

I know that bigger isn't better if it isn't tuned right but. My combo that is going to be installed a few weeks to early Jan is. Ported Vic Jr heads from Fox Lake with 300+ intake CFM, 238 duration cam, 10.5 comp ratio, T-Moss ported RPMII intake, 75mm tb, 1 3/4 Longtube headers, 90mm tb, 42# injectors. This is a 100%, my only car, I drive 500+ miles every single week, ice cold AC, heat, nice stereo, full weight with leather interior, daily driver. Open my hood and my Vic Jr's look no different from his Brodix Heads. My RPMII to the average entusiast doesn't look any more impresive than his Performer. My 75mm tb, probably too small, but it's an SN95 so I'm stuck with it, looks identical to a 70 or 65mm. My 1 3/4 headers arent any louder of more challenging than 1 5/8". So two engines that look very similar in outward appearance, but one makes 100+ more hp. I get 28 mpg on the HWY.

You can notch the pistons with a Isky Notch tool.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxBodyNick View Post
                      you also had different pistons correct?? and with that cam Im sure you pull well above 6k?? im sure you know bigger is not always better. Especially with a street driven stock bore 302. I doubt he will want to mess with that until he gets a bottom end or a stronger transmission that is a sure thing to hold that high.

baby steps for him.

TB. i do believe but dont quote me that the opening is going to be 70mm and the accufab 70mm tb flows plenty
                      MAF. he will be getting a tune no matter what. 90mm is quite large for that N/A HCI combo Just input more voltage refrence points in the idle range and it can be tuned far better than any aftermarket MAF meter.
                      Longtubes. because he already got a set of ceramic 1 5/8 for a great price
                      IT's hard to pass up a great deal, but sell them and put some larger headers. If I'm not mistaken all those combos that were referred to have 1 3/4 primaries with 3" exhaust.

If he ran the larger headers along with a 75 or 90mm tb I'll bet he would see 10-15 more hp.

Comment

Or you can make your own with a throw away head, chevy 2.02 vlave and 36 grit sand paper.
                        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I like it! Just glue the paper on?

Comment

Yup. Obviously a drill is needed but...

You may have to be a memeber to read this, not sure

Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I know that bigger isn't better if it isn't tuned right but. My combo that is going to be installed a few weeks to early Jan is. Ported Vic Jr heads from Fox Lake with 300+ intake CFM, 238 duration cam, 10.5 comp ratio, T-Moss ported RPMII intake, 75mm tb, 1 3/4 Longtube headers, 90mm tb, 42# injectors. This is a 100%, my only car, I drive 500+ miles every single week, ice cold AC, heat, nice stereo, full weight with leather interior, daily driver. Open my hood and my Vic Jr's look no different from his Brodix Heads. My RPMII to the average entusiast doesn't look any more impresive than his Performer. My 75mm tb, probably too small, but it's an SN95 so I'm stuck with it, looks identical to a 70 or 65mm. My 1 3/4 headers arent any louder of more challenging than 1 5/8". So two engines that look very similar in outward appearance, but one makes 100+ more hp. I get 28 mpg on the HWY.

you are spinning to the sky Im sure in that thing to make that kind of power.
                              that cam matches the amount of air your heads and intake can flow. His cam matches what his heads and intake flow. He is getting the parts from me for a pretty low price which Im positive is quite lower than your investment in yours. Im not an advocate because he is getting my parts because Im losing out on quite a bit of cash selling them to him, i am defending this specific build because it will be a descent street combo for him and what he is wanting to get out of it. It should run well and be a fun car for him to get used to a little more power and to pull some faster ETs.

Comment

Those Brodix heads could easily make 375-400 hp with a 230-240 duration cam spinning to 6250. Hey it will be fun either way. I actually bought the Jr's used for $650 then spent $700 so a total of $1350 spent. They will probably be the last heads I ever have to buy for a street car. I'm sure if you go to extremes you could kill performance on the street with too big of parts, but I think heads is where you go big. Don't LSX heads flow over 300 cfm in stock configuration? Use the cam to dertermine the powerband and the characteristics of the engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X