Who here has done a waterpump on a later model Dodge 5.7 Hemi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here has done a waterpump on a later model Dodge 5.7 Hemi

So I bought the wife a new Flex a couple months back to replace the old trusty wagon, and it must've pissed the Magnum off because now that it's been sitting for the past several weeks I noticed it took a piss on the garage floor.....appears to be coolant, and from what I can tell most likely from the front cover, which I've been told is a sure sign of a bad waterpump on these engines.

Anyways....I've decided to put it up for sale, but I want to be sure it's 100% for it's new owner, so I'm going to go ahead and change the pump on it....looks like a pretty big job on one of these, I believe the front cover has to come off, which means the balancer too. Anyone here done one? It's a 2005 model if that makes a different.
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

What engine?

Comment

O I c now....

Comment

From what I have found, it looks pretty conventional. Looks like it runs off the serpentine belt.

The 3.5 runs off the timingbelt.

Comment

Never done one on that body style, but I did one on a 318, I believe the truck was a '98. It was pretty simple, I am willing to help you with it if needed.
          '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
          '13 Dodge Cummins
          '14 Rubicon X

Comment

I can do it if you want. Pm me

Comment

Pretty easy, 2.2 hr book rate job. Here is my tip,<--lol ok then when taking the ac compressor off, there is a bolt at the back holding it down to the intake/block. Its kinda hard to see at first. Fan clutch can be a mofo to get off if its been on awhile, esp when some asshole uses red loctite on it.

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and tear into it a little this weekend to confirm the source of the leak first I guess...I'm hearing on the LXForum that it could actually be the timing cover leaking and not necessarily the pump. From a search it also seems that is somewhat a common problem on these engines....I sure hope not. It's just over 89K right now....so hoping just the pump, but I guess we'll see.
                70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

pressure test that bitch first before you tear it down.

mardyn

Comment

Same thing happened on my 05 hemi, and it ended up being the water pump. Pretty common problem.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
                    .223 > 911

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                      pressure test that bitch first before you tear it down.

mardyn
                      I have Dave - the problem is I can't see where it's coming from...I've traced it to the front drivers side of the block, I can see it running down there from under the car, but AC compressor and a few other things are in the way, and I can't see the source of the leak from there. No visible signs up top at all....this sucker is packaged pretty tight. I'm going to have to pull at least the compressor and then pressurize it again.

Originally posted by SouthernSVT View Post
                      Same thing happened on my 05 hemi, and it ended up being the water pump. Pretty common problem.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
                      Thanks for the reply...I sure hope it's that instead of the timing cover. I'm the original owner and the car has had all regular maintenance including a coolant flush around 60K....so hoping it wouldn't be issues with an erroded cover.

Question - was yours also running down in the same area (drivers side front of the block?....it actually runs down and onto the pan rail, down the pan, and final drip comes off of the oil drain plug.
                      70' Chevelle RagTop

Comment

Working...
                      X