What blasting materials for this job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What blasting materials for this job?

I'm restoring a couple of interiors and I'd like to be able to take off that factory "dye" that they put on the plastics. Like on the center console and the door panels and kick panels and such. Its really paint but for some reason lots of people call it dye. Obviously you wouldn't use sand to "sand blast" the interior plastics. But what about aluminum oxide? Or walnut shell? Not sure which one to go with.

Also the wife wants me to be able to etch some kind of pattern into floor tiles and mirrors. Which one is best for that

If it is just paint, then why not paint over it?

Duh....

Comment

Cause by now its too thick. It would appear that some other douchebag (besides me) has already taken a crack at fixing it up. And put some other paint on it. And frankly I'm too lazy to sand by hand. It looks to be in great shape other than that. So I'd like to get all that old crap off and start fresh.

Comment

I have used oklahoma sugar sand or pinn sand to blast plastic many times. You have to make sure the plastic is solid and go easy on it. I get my blasting supplies at builders supply close to downtown Ft Worth.

Comment

Originally posted by kobuzz View Post
          I have used oklahoma sugar sand or pinn sand to blast plastic many times. You have to make sure the plastic is solid and go easy on it. I get my blasting supplies at builders supply close to downtown Ft Worth.
          This. and be sure to turn your regulator way down.
          70' Chevelle RagTop
          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Thanks for the help, but I was hoping for something that I had a little easier access to. So its safe to assume I shouldn't use sand, walnut shell, or aluminum oxide? Seems like that stuff might eat the plastic even on low PSI

Comment

you need a media that leaves the integrity of the surface unchanged.
              the MOH scale hardness is what to look at.
              soda is 2.5
              cornstarch is 2.5
              walnut is 3.0

Canfield & Josephs has the media you need.
              it only takes 20-30 lbs of pressure to blast with.

Comment

Working...
              X