89 5.0 motor freshen up...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 5.0 motor freshen up...??

Is there any machine shops/engine places that would do just a re-ring just to freshen up the motor while i have it pulled out? One place says they do it all or nothing and a rebuild of the shortblock is $410 but was hoping to keep the forged pistons. It doesn't smoke and runs good just want to do a little preventative maintenance while the engine is out. Will be adding a cam and springs along with roller rockers.

I'd pull it apart. Have the machine shop vat/mag it, hone the cylinders, assuming everythings good here, check deck, rods/crank, balance assembly, install new cam bearings. Most of the stock rebuilds I've done the above work is around 400$ if deck and bore checks out. I've used Arlington automotive machine for a long time and always been happy with the work.

Comment

$410 is a good price.

Comment

Yeah it seems to be a good price except i was hoping to keep the forged pistons is all.

Comment

Originally posted by torchdgt View Post
          Yeah it seems to be a good price except i was hoping to keep the forged pistons is all.
          Why would you think you can't use the stock forged pistons? For $410 I'm sure all they're doing is re-ringing it.

Comment

What they likely mean is that they aren't going to reuse the bearings. The way you are wording it, you just want them to take it apart, put rings in, then reassemble with the old bearings.

Comment

If the motor doesn't smoke and runs good then don't worry about the rings. You could still replace all bearings. How many miles are on the engine? If the cylinders still have good cross-hatching and the engine ran fine then I'd just put in a new oil pump, timing gear & chain and water pump and slap it all back together with new gaskets and ARP head bolts.

Marcus
              '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

The motor has 103k. The car sat for 10yrs it was an old friends from high school and she finally gave it up. Lol. So i got it going in 09 and has been running great since except now its starting to leak and my coolant has been going down over the past month. Then a couple weeks ago i came out to a huge wet spot under the front end. I jacked it up and thought was water pump. So upon replacing and refilling it it started leaking again from what appears to be by the timing chain cover block area but there's so much oil/junk buildup on the motor its hard to tell. Its leaking from the passenger side front. So i have all this stuff that I had bought for my 86 vert and figured what the Hell I'll put it on this car instead. I've got all new exhaust, pullies, crane cam, crane 1.7 rollers, 24# injectors, crane springs, and a cobra intake. So figured good as time as any to do all this and clean the motor and engine bay up.

Comment

When i talked to Forbes they said it would be all new everything bearings, pump, turn the crank, a cam, timing chain, pistons and etc... Fully rebuilt short block. Called back twice.

Comment

Why not get a bore brush and do it your self? You can have the cam bearings changed for you and then do all the other bearings at home. Have you thought of that?
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

And here's what i call the RUSTANG its ugly runs like a champ or it used too. Lol
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah its just that i don't want to make it worse. I've watched so many shows on it but i'm sure i would screw it up.

Comment

This is what you need, 4"ish.

Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Oh yeah I've seen those. . . Well after i get the motor power washed this weekend I'll start tearing it apart and see for sure what Im dealing with. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X