Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building boost off factory rev limiter (pomofo's two step)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building boost off factory rev limiter (pomofo's two step)

If anyone remembers a while back I found the pin out on which wires to ground to make my PCM in my swap car know if I was in P/N or in gear. Now that I am building a turbo setup I am looking for a two step solution. There are a few out there (MSD, Synergy, etc.) but what about the factory PCM rev limiter. Through HPTuners I can set a limiter for Park/Neutral and a rev limiter for in gear.

So my question is if the factory rev-limiter works in the same fashion as a two step rev limiter. From what I understand the MSD/Synergy/etc. just drop out spark to cylinders to keep the revs at under the limit, is this not how the factory PCM works as well?

This is a 0411 PCM out of a 2004 Chevy Express Van btw.

Comment

after doing some more research it looks like this only cuts fuel, not spark. not sure how bad that'd be on a turbo app, on one had it cuts the fuel for the entire stroke so i dont think it'd cause detonation (no fuel, no boom at all), but if i ran meth it could be a big problem.

Comment

Ever heard of pomofo racing?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

there is a 2 step avail for the LS1's for around a 100 less (I'm thinking its like 80) I'll see if I can find it
          1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Ya, looks like I'll just buy an MSD 2 step, at least I can add a 3rd step if I get a brake at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              after doing some more research it looks like this only cuts fuel, not spark. not sure how bad that'd be on a turbo app, on one had it cuts the fuel for the entire stroke so i dont think it'd cause detonation (no fuel, no boom at all), but if i ran meth it could be a big problem.
              Fuel cut is NO problem, it works fine - done in megasquirt land all the time. It just sounds a bit different than traditional spark cut. Search Youtube.

As for the meth, no problem there either - if you want it OFF while on the fuel cut, simply put a hobbs switch and a relay to keep meth from spraying while trying to build boost. (your likely to be at such a low boost the meth won't be coming on anyways....)

Comment

Finally some good news on the saving money front!

Comment

Also, I got to thinking.

If/when I get a transbrake, I could use this method as a 3 step as well. HPTuners lets you set a rev limit in each gear as well (1-4 since my tune is based on an auto). By grounding specific pins on the PCM the PCM can tell what gear it is in, like PIN A and B is park, PIN A B C is gear 1, PIN A and C is gear 2, etc. so if I wanted to set a 3 step I could just use a switch to ground pins for the first limiter, then ground pins for the 2nd limiter, and when no switch is pressed it'd be on the standard rev limiter.

Comment

doesn't sound confusing at all

I'm lazy, I'd just spend the $200 and buy one haha... but with this 4L60e I don't want to do anything extra to try to break an already week transmission
                    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                      doesn't sound confusing at all

I'm lazy, I'd just spend the $200 and buy one haha... but with this 4L60e I don't want to do anything extra to try to break an already week transmission
                      i heard the 4l80 isn't as week, it's month stronger

it really isn't that confusing, but since my pcm doesn't control the transmission anymore seems like a good option vs. 240 for a msd unit. i'll at least give it a try and see how it works.

Comment

Working...
                      X